B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
I am considering a B3350 to replace my 51 Ford 8N for medium duty 5' rotary cutter duty. The 3350 is small and light but I do not like the 3301/3901 tractors.

I use the 5' cutter only for certain parcels that do not look good if mowed with one of my larger tractor mower combinations and the work is usually not heavy.
There is, however, one tight turn with a short but steep incline where I must raise the mower as I crest the incline. I always carry the front end of the 8N and steer with the turning brakes when doing this.
This is one of the reasons why I eliminated the 3*** tractors as the brakes are on the same side as the hydro pedal, making it nearly impossible to use the turning brakes while driving.

My 5' Cutter is a Frontier RC2060 with F & R chain shielding and probably weighs about 700 Lbs.

Does anyone have any experience using a B3350 with a 700 Lb. rotary cutter for mostly light duty work?

Interested in the weight considerations rather than HP.

SDT

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #2  
You are good to go. No problem. I have 2 B2150's -- one I use with a 4' hog in summer and snowblowing in winter and the other with a 5 ft hog. Both are several hundred pounds lighter than the B3350. Both have std transmission rather than hydrostatic. The one I use with a 5' hog (brand name Bush Hog, pretty heavy for a 5ft) is often used on 40% slopes and mowing high to medium grass, not brush.

By the way , the RC6020 spec weight is 590 lbs and this BH of mine specs at 522lbs. Yours may be 68lbs more depending on trailing wheel configuration, etc. Very little different.

The B2150 is plenty heavy and powered well for that duty. Both the B2150 and the B3350 are 4cyl which I claim does matter in many subtle ways. BETTER power. Your B3350 has more power (partly robbed by the HSD but still plenty) and is heavier. I think you will have zero problems and would in fact be robust for the application you describe. That said, especially compared to the good old 8N, you will find any Kubota unstable on steep ground without wider rear wheel separation. I strongly recommend wheel spacers.
20160825_135910.jpg 20160831_152019.jpg 20160831_152113.jpg

The ones I bought are Bora brand ( and I recommend them highly) but I also hear good things about other brands including Bro-Tek and Hansen. All of these are machined from solid chunks of aluminum. Other brands are welded construction with plates separated by tubes (and friends of mine have those on a Kubota 3400 which work quite well. Mine are 6 inches per side for a total added wheel spacing of a foot (so are my friends units) and I find that works well. In my view it is not worth it to add just a few inches.

Last edited:
   / B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter
Thanks, JWR.

My RC2060 has a slip clutch and F & R chain shielding. My 8N handles it nicely but I occasionally carry the front end (been doing this for nearly 50 years).

The B3360 is significantly smaller and lighter than my 51 8N, which I have owned since 1974.

I'm not worried much about wheel spacing/tip as I do not use this combination on side hills.

Mostly concerned about front end weight vis a vis the 700 Lb. mower.

SDT

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #4  
Re: B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter

Would you get a loader with Kubota? If not then weights up front will be necessary but it shouldn't have a problem with that cutter.

The 8n is heavier but the weight is also ditributed differently then the Kubota's. The 8n has a lot more weight in the rear axle housing so the counterweight difference shouldn't be as high as it would seem if you are just looking at overall weight.

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #5  
If you get a loader the front weight situation is thoroughly taken care of. I do not have a loader on my B2150 that uses the 5ft hog. I do have 3 suitcase weights on the front but they are only 55lb each and not stuck very far forward. My 2150 is lighter than the 3350, the hogs are about the same weight. Nothing seems at all marginal or out of balance on mine. You just will not have a problem. BY THE WAY --- my goodness, if you are seriously considering buying one, put a 700lb hog on it and go test drive it first !!

Here is a picture (grandson driving) before I put the wheel spacers on. You can see the weights up front.20160819_164707.jpg

Here is another pic after the wheel spacers were installed and the hog is lifted. 20160831_183920.jpg

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #6  
The B3350 tractors have such a problematic reputation, I would absolutely not consider one. No doubt there are those that have not experienced dpf issues, but of all of the Kubota models the 3350 seems to pop up a whole lot. I have no direct experience with this model, but a quick search here will be enlightening.

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #7  
I originally wanted a 3350 to replace my B7100 but even the sales guy at the dealer discouraged me. I understand not being thrilled about the 3*01s. I wasn't either. They're good tractors just primitive compared to much of the competition, but still expensive. The Branson I ended up with has turning brakes on the left side and many more nice features. LS seems to be well liked and equipped as well.

The B3350 tractors have such a problematic reputation, I would absolutely not consider one. No doubt there are those that have not experienced dpf issues, but of all of the Kubota models the 3350 seems to pop up a whole lot. I have no direct experience with this model, but a quick search here will be enlightening.

Interesting about your comment about B3350 reputation. I was unawares.

Anything more descriptive?

SDT

Re: B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter

Would you get a loader with Kubota? If not then weights up front will be necessary but it shouldn't have a problem with that cutter.

The 8n is heavier but the weight is also ditributed differently then the Kubota's. The 8n has a lot more weight in the rear axle housing so the counterweight difference shouldn't be as high as it would seem if you are just looking at overall weight.

I do not need a FEL for this tractor as I have 2 other larger Kubotas with FELs.

That said, I might buy one simply because someday I will probably sell it and Kubotas without FELs are difficult to sell. Moreover, I could get the $1,000 incentive if I bought a FEL and something else with the tractor.

SDT

/ B3350 Wity 60" Rotaty Cutter #10  
Sounds like a good idea if you can swing the cost. I wouldn't worry about the early dpf issues, those have been taken care of for a little while now.