Traction B7100 Front Tire Chains

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I'd like to run front chains on my B7100 with turf tires. The reason I have not up to this point is that there is a very tight clearance between the tire and the steering knuckle. I'm concerned that if the chain came off or was loose, it could catch the knuckle and cause come expensive damage.

Has anyone else faced this issue and if so, what did you do about it? Can I shim the wheels outboard or reverse them temporarily?

Thanks.

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #2  
Different tractor but same situation.
Tried everywhere online to find chains in stock. Everyone sells them but none in stock.
Stopped into my Kubota dealer and he instantly said "DON"T DO IT" there is not enough clearance.
I trust my Kubota dealer. (really, I do) He could have sold me a set of chains but instead told me not to do it.

Your tractor is different so verify clearance first.

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #3  
Had front chains on my B7100. No problems.:thumbsup:

Really helped traction wise.:D

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #4  
Travelover,

Another option to consider is rubber chains. I was very skeptical at first, but they worked out well this year using them on snow and ice. Some of my neighbors have very steep driveways and they worked. Manufacture claims only 1" of clearance is needed.

ASTA Traction, Anti-scratch traction aid (rubber tire chains)

Like I said they are an option and you can determine if they will meet your needs.

Added in edit: I have turf tires. My neighbor has used these for over 8 years on his B9200 w/turf and never got stuck and he gets in some crazy places with his tractor.

Last edited:
   / B7100 Front Tire Chains
Travelover,

Another option to consider is rubber chains. I was very skeptical at first, but they worked out well this year using them on snow and ice. Some of my neighbors have very steep driveways and they worked. Manufacture claims only 1" of clearance is needed.

ASTA Traction, Anti-scratch traction aid (rubber tire chains)

Like I said they are an option and you can determine if they will meet your needs.

Added in edit: I have turf tires. My neighbor has used these for over 8 years on his B9200 w/turf and never got stuck and he gets in some crazy places with his tractor.

Interesting alternative.

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #7  
I have chains on front and rear turf tires on my B7500. No problem with clearance. But it seemed like every winter at least one would manage to come undone. Front ones are not a problem to handle but the rears are a bear to wrestle with in the cold. So a couple of years ago I studied the problem and decided to use short bolts with nuts sized to just fit in the link where the catch is. This prevents the catch from coming loose. Had no problems since then. As far as your clearance other threads on this subject have suggested reversing the wheels or using wheel spacers.

JohnZ
B7500

/ B7100 Front Tire Chains #10  
This is my second winter using chains on the front of my B7100 with turf tires. I worried also about them rubbing. Last year I kept an eye on them and had no problem. Worried more of the leftover chain I had routed out of the way. This winter I removed one or two (I think one) of the links going across the tires. Haven't had any problems with it rubbing.

I do use the chain tighteners (adjusters) from tirechains.com

Used to just use a rubber bungee cord but now think that the springs are a better idea. They probably do the same thing but haven't had any problems.

I remove my loader bucket and use a 6 foot blade to move snow and do have a short steep asphalt drive. The front chains help a lot with steering. With pushing 6 foot width I still can't push where I want sometimes but thats a weight issue I think.

I have both an older B7100 with 4 stud front wheels and a newer one with 6 studs. If anyone knows where I can get 4 hole ag rims or if the hubs could be changed I would love to put my ag tires on the one with the loader.

Thanks, Dan