B7500 wheel lockup

/ B7500 wheel lockup #1  

arcspark

Hey everybody, Our B7500 is locking up going down the road....Seems like maybe front axle is locking up, although not sure yet...anyway we are trying to get the front driveshaft out...so what is the secret? We want to disconnect it from the transfer case/ front pumpkin and try it to determine if the lockup stems from something wrong in the front. My guy says there are pins thru the splined part but after that he wasn't sure where the room to pull the shaft would come from....Havent been under it yet myself but will have it here shortly....Any thoughts and thanks....Arc

/ B7500 wheel lockup
TTT please

/ B7500 wheel lockup #3  
Perhaps this attachment will help in determining how to remove the driveshaft. Part drawings can be obtained by going to [URL="www.messicks.com"]www.messicks.com[/URL]. Enter the information and it will be sent within a minute or two.

B7500 Front Axle.jpg

Curious... Does the problem occur in both 2 and 4 wheel drive?

/ B7500 wheel lockup
Hey Moship thanks for the reply...and the link...yes but we want to separate the front to back to see whats not turnin when....

/ B7500 wheel lockup #5  
If you have to take the hubs apart for further inspection it is fairly simple and the flanges are sealed with o-rings so need to worry about having new gaskets in hand.

My neighbors tractor bearings came apart in the front hub and caused some issues. Just keep track of any shims that may come out when removing any of the flanges. They are typically 2-piece design so the bolts can be started and the shims slipped in place. No special tools are needed but some pry bars help in removing the bearings if necessary. It's not that uncommon to have failed bearings in the front hub especially if the loader is used without rear ballast That's why I'm mentioning this.

Last edited:
   / B7500 wheel lockup #6  
When it locks would it be worth lifting the fronts with the loader and trying to manually rotate? I would think that if you had gear issues sufficient to lock the front drive you would hear something amiss?

Are you operating it in four wheel drive when it locks, or with rear power only? If you were in rear power and the front locked the front wheels would skid, not roll? Even in 4wd, if the fronts locked they would skid?

I'd probably try to answer a few more questions for myself before I took out the front drive shaft?

/ B7500 wheel lockup #7  
Chances are it's a front end problem!

/ B7500 wheel lockup
Yeah...we had front end jacked up in barn to spin fronts but couldn't recreate it...might be due to no load on running gear so it didn't seem to be too big a deal to uncouple the front and run it in two wheel drive for a bit to check it out...now have parts diagram thanks to moship and messicks so will get to wrenchin here shortly....got to go to work tomorrow...will also focus on hubs but need to get tractor up to the other barn first...thanks, arc

/ B7500 wheel lockup #9  
Arcspark,

Any luck finding the root cause of your problem?

/ B7500 wheel lockup #10  
I'd look at jacking the whole tractor up and put it in 2wd and see if the front end spins. Unless your hearing specific crunching sounds. The smaller front wheels are likely to feel like there locking up if its stuck in 4x4 and your on the road. Thread only says locking up going down the road, not off-road.