B7800 Vs. L2800HST

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #1  

Carl Bill

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500; Kubota L2800HST
Ok, I had started a thread in the main area, but decided to move this discussion here in the Kubota area. I has been looking for a step up on a new tractor from my BX1500. I was not really considering Kubota as the only way to go, but was thinking B7800 low end and L3400HST on the high end for comparision. Mahindra had been a consideration, but due to a lack of local dealership interest, I have decided to keep looking at Kubota.

Someone on the other thread also mentioned that I should not rule out an L2800HST.

So, what do I get in an L2800HST over the similar HP B7800?

I think the L series is a bit heaver and may have a few more standard features, but will I see the beneifit for the extrat cost?

Position Control vs. Quarter Inching Valve? I have read that position control is superior and I will be doing mostly dirt work with an FEL and box blade.

What about FEL difference? Is there a an advantage with the L2800?

Any other things to consider? They seem like they are very close on power, so what do I gain for the extra $$$.

Appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Carl

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #2  
CARL: This is tough to answer to give you help on your choices of tractors. If you are just rough grading, the inching valve will do the job, but for fine smooth work, spend the extra money for the infinite position valve to reduce the frustrations. HP is usually related to rate of time completing the job. The guys here would like to know maybe all the future implements (mower-bush hog-plowing-landscaping-future snow blower, etc.?) before giving you good answers on HP/transmissions. Terrain and acreage is also a factor, if operating on steep hillsides. Tires should also be an issue for your decision for stability. I haven't read your prior post? Very few trade down in size on this site.

The HP usually comes into play with the bush-hog, which requires 5 hp/ft. of width, and how fast you want to get the job done? If you are mainly doing loader work only, weight can be an issue for traction, and you will run out of it before losing HP. These are just basic answers, we need more info?

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #3  
CARL: This is tough to answer to give you help on your choices of tractors. If you are just rough grading, the inching valve will do the job, but for fine smooth work, spend the extra money for the infinite position valve to reduce the frustrations. HP is usually related to rate of time completing the job. The guys here would like to know maybe all the future implements (mower-bush hog-plowing-landscaping-future snow blower, etc.?) before giving you good answers on HP/transmissions. Terrain and acreage is also a factor, if operating on steep hillsides. Tires should also be an issue for your decision for stability. I haven't read your prior post? Very few trade down in size on this site.

The HP usually comes into play with the bush-hog, which requires 5 hp/ft. of width, and how fast you want to get the job done? If you are mainly doing loader work only, weight can be an issue for traction, and you will run out of it before losing HP. These are just basic answers, we need more info?

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #4  
There is roughly 400 dollars difference in the price of the two tractors not counting loaders. I'd think that the extra weight for the excavating work would be a benifit that would be hard to not want unless the unit is to big for your needs.

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST
I guess, what I am asking is, what advantages do I get with the same HP in an "L" series that I would not get in a "B" series?

The B7800 and L2800HST are almost identical in HP, however the B is a 4 cyl and the L is a 3 cyl. I wonder if the 4 cyl is a smother engine over the 3?

If I can get by on the HP, which one would be the better value?

I am looking at doing mostly box blade and FEL work. Minimal mowing, unless I decide to trade the BX1500, which is not being considered at this time.

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST
Quotes so far:

Kubota B7800 HST Tractor w/ R4 tires
Kubota LA402-1 Loader $15,500.00

Kubota L2800 HST Tractor w/ R4 tires
Kubota LA463 Loader $15,900.00

Two different dealers....

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #7  
I think the B7800 would be like a Ford F150 XLT while the L2800 would be more like a Ford Custom or XL... fewer bells and whisles!

mark

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST #8  
Quotes so far:

Kubota B7800 HST Tractor w/ R4 tires
Kubota LA402-1 Loader $15,500.00

Kubota L2800 HST Tractor w/ R4 tires
Kubota LA463 Loader $15,900.00

Two different dealers....

If doing mostly dirt work I would definitely go with the L..... heavier, bigger tires, longer wheelbase... all that will make a big difference.

/ B7800 Vs. L2800HST
I supose most people here already knew that the B7800 has been discontinued.... It has older styling similar to my BX1500. The L2800HST has newer styling and more power this year.

The L2800 would stay a "current" model longer and may hold better resale, so I am now really leaning that direction.

My wife thinks I need to trade the BX1500, but I really want to keep it for mowing. Once my many dirt projects are over, I might consider selling the new tractor as the BX1500 does just about everything I need, and it only has 180 hours!

I will be thinking about what to do the rest of the weekend and see what next week brings! :)

Last edited:
   / B7800 Vs. L2800HST #10  
Have you driven both tractors? The extra size of the L makes it much smoother and more comfortable IMO. If you don't need the smaller size of the B, I would definitely recommend the L.