Back-Saver 2000

/ Back-Saver 2000 #1  

rokit

Tractor
Mahindra 1526 Shuttle
This one falls into the category of Stupid-Simple-yet-Oh-So-Useful (to me anyway).

I am putting in a fence around my property. The majority will be steel posts, but along the frontage I did railroad ties every 10 feet. I quickly got sick of maneuvering the posts only in the horizontal with the tractor and vertically with my own grunt...so on a bad-weather day I zapped together a fork out of 2" x 2" x .250" square tube and some 3/4" nuts and bolts. BTW, a hitch receiver on my pallet fork attachment makes this a snap.

Anyway, now I simply pull up to a tie lying on the ground, zap down the bolts down with a battery-powered Dewalt mini-impact, and lift away. The posts go vertical and I plop them in the holes with the FEL. This little rig is equally as effective at pulling stuff out of the ground (an old mailbox post, other old fence posts, etc.). I wondered about gripping strength and slippage and the need to add gussets, but so far it hasn't been an issue. 20161224_160432_resized.jpg

/ Back-Saver 2000 #2  
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....and I have some heavy square tubing laying around too...

/ Back-Saver 2000 #3  
This one falls into the category of Stupid-Simple-yet-Oh-So-Useful (to me anyway).

I am putting in a fence around my property. The majority will be steel posts, but along the frontage I did railroad ties every 10 feet. I quickly got sick of maneuvering the posts only in the horizontal with the tractor and vertically with my own grunt...so on a bad-weather day I zapped together a fork out of 2" x 2" x .250" square tube and some 3/4" nuts and bolts. BTW, a hitch receiver on my pallet fork attachment makes this a snap.

Anyway, now I simply pull up to a tie lying on the ground, zap down the bolts down with a battery-powered Dewalt mini-impact, and lift away. The posts go vertical and I plop them in the holes with the FEL. This little rig is equally as effective at pulling stuff out of the ground (an old mailbox post, other old fence posts, etc.). I wondered about gripping strength and slippage and the need to add gussets, but so far it hasn't been an issue.View attachment 500666
Good job, easy enough---alway's looking to save the BACK

/ Back-Saver 2000 #4  
Fortunately, when I installed barbed wire fence around my 80 acres - 1.5 miles - I only needed seven greasy railroad ties. I sure could have used something like what rokit has built. I ended up using a log chain to "pinch" the ties to the lip of the bucket. It worked - but was only one tiny step above setting them by hand.

/ Back-Saver 2000 #5  
Looks like a nice tool you have build.
Good idea! Now I have to add a 2" receiver to the quick attach plate I have for my front end loader build :)

/ Back-Saver 2000 #6  
Looks good.
Simple, fairly easy to make, very useful. Good project to learn welding with.

/ Back-Saver 2000 #8  
Neat idea. I'd like to build a set of forks to swap my bucket out with. Could use them a lot around here.

/ Back-Saver 2000 #10  
I wrap a chain around it. Easier to put a post down than when it is clamped