Backhoe Backhoe - Fronthoe??

/ Backhoe - Fronthoe?? #1  

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 7045; Wheelhorses C121, C101, A8;Cushman Turf truckster
I have a backhoe with a subframe mount that doesn't suit the tractor I've bought - Long (Universal) 445 DT.
I was going to mount it on the TPH, but my tractor has a good quick release FEloader on it (See picture attached) & the brackets & rails for this are really meaty, like 3"X3/8" angle plus 1/2" plate.
I was wondering if it might be a good idea to cut the existing backhoe subframe & weld up some box to it to fit the FELoader slides. Then down to the existing backhoe subframe cutt off short. There is plenty of serious plate lower down just above the front axle to make a four point fixing to the bottom breaces for the FEL.
This would suit really well because I have some evil soft ground I need to clear ditches on & I'd rather nose the tractor into these than reverse it.
I reckon the backhoe wouldn't weigh any more than the existing FEloader, but the one thing that is worrying me is that I've never seen a fronthoe done!!! I'm just wondering whether they just might be a good reason for that.....:)
Any observations from anyone? I'll probably just go the TPH route for now, but another winter project is suggesting itself to me.

Attachments

• Universal-3-600.jpeg
    Universal-3-600.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 320
  • BACKHOE.jpg
    BACKHOE.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 308
   / Backhoe - Fronthoe?? #2  
There are plenty of front hoe's, called excuvators ha ha. I have thought of this idea some. I think that the real problem would be that a FEL is designed to withstand pressure pushing back on frame work of FEL. The backhoe has pressure going the other way. On the FEL that I have (Koyker) I think that it would rip the brackets off tractor. Your FEL is seems to be better braced than mine. If you try this I would like to see what you do. It may also be a little difficult to see past hood when digging but I don't see that as a big problem. big dan

/ Backhoe - Fronthoe?? #3  
I'm assuming that you won't be looking over the hood as you'll use a seat mounted on the actual hoe. While I think you're idea will work, I'd be concerned about the twisting moments on the loader. You may get away with it in this case because the hoe looks rather small and lighweight relative to the mass of the fel.

Andy

/ Backhoe - Fronthoe?? #4  
There is nothing wrong with your idea, PYCOED.

Notice that "backhoes" are made to fit the loaders on skid steers.
They include an additonal bracing mechanism; they are not just
attached using the QA plate.

If you beef up or replace the loader arms, I do not see why you
could not make a very sturdy "fronthoe". One of the reasons you
may not see this approach with CUTs is that you pretty much
eliminate the FEL, a very useful attachment. Now if you could
design a hoe subframe that fits into the QA bracket on the loader
subframe, then you may be able to swap the hoe and FEL without
too much work.

Loaders for 30-40hp CUTs weigh from about 800 to 1200 lb, so you
are very close to what a 7.5' hoe attachment weighs. You will want
to have at least 500-800lb rear ballast, I would think.

Interesting project. I hope you try it out.

/ Backhoe - Fronthoe??
Thanks for the info, all - I take the point about the rear ballast with a "fronthoe".
I think I'll use the backhoe in the normal position this summer & see how I get on, just keep an eye out for me posting pictures on getting stuck in bogs!!
Having had a good look & measure tonight, I reckon building a custom subframe to fit the FEL brackets wouldn't be too much trouble( or not too much potch as we say in Wales) & this tractor (its 45HP) is certainly meatier than the equivalent 45hp CUTs. The FEL slides are 3X3X3/8" angle & I'm thinking if I tie some 3" box down onto that, copying the existing FEL catch arrangements.Then a vertical 3/4 or 1" bolt or two each side to resist the forward pull from the hoe, it ought to do the job & nothing on the existing slides harmed except for the 1" holes. I'm pretty sure the existing bracing looks sufficient. As some one pointed out the hoe isn't a big 'un, the boom is 4" box I think, but it'll do fine for me - I just need it for clearing ditches & digging the odd flight pond - I doubt it'll ever meet any rocks.
One for the winter, if I can ever get my son's part completed projects out of the garage...if he thinks he can leave 'em there & go off to college in September, we're heading for a showdown!