Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #1  

chesternator

Silver Member
Tractor
RK37 HC Hydrostatic Cab
Looking for some to weigh in on this. I am a new backhoe owner/operator on RK37. I was digging for how to safely operate and I found various answers.

The first video I found was a military training video which states to use the bucket to contact the ground but DO NOT lift the front end off the ground. DO use the outriggers to raise the rear tires off the ground
Next video I found was to lift both the front and rear
Next video was to lift the front but not the rear
Next I find in the tractorbynet forum to lift none of the tractor off the ground

Which is it and why?

Thanks.

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #2  
Stable and level. Whatever combination that might be.

Sometimes fronts in air to remain level and not be on such an angle to starve things of oil.

Sometimes only one rear wheel in air to level side to side.

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #3  
Yep. I only lift the machine to get level. Otherwise apply ground pressure just enough to stabilize the machine. In haste you'll sometimes not get it quite right and require further adjustment. Practice makes perfect. :)

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #4  
[video]https://www.wikihow.com/Operate-a-Backhoe[/video]

Keep the forces from the hoe on the stabilizers and bucket not the drivetrain.

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #5  
I've only got a couple of months into this, but so far, I've preferred to keep as much ground contact as possible. I use the bucket and outriggers to stabilize and support, but not lift. That gives me 7 points of ground contact.

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE
All inputs considered here and across the web I believe I will take the pressure off with the bucket and stabilizers but leave the tires contact with the ground and the drivetrain in Neutral with brakes applied.

Taking the pressure off the wheels similar as I do when removing lug nuts (with hand wrench) but not so much to lift the tire allowing it to spin

Of course that's in an ideal situation with level ground otherwise I will do what it takes to be level and keep what tires I can on the ground without weight applied

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #7  
You'll figure it out. There's no right/wrong answer. It's all situation specific.

Machinery operation requires a certain mindset to become proficient. Friend of mine has been running a hoe for 30 years. He's not proficient yet. :)

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #8  
Since we're talking about hoes, outriggers and stability, this may be as good place to ask as any.

My outrigger feet are completely flat and smooth. This has so far allowed some sliding on grass and softer ground regardless of the amount of down pressure. I was looking for some sort of gripper teeth or claws to attach using the through holes in those plates, but so far I haven't found any. That got me wondering about just using a 2 inch or so bolt through each of the holes. That would give me 8 spikes or studs in each one to penetrate the ground.

Thoughts?

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE #9  
Use C channel making a square pad with vertical edges at two sides.

/ Backhoe operation - tractor tires off the ground, only the rear, only the front, NONE
Seen this on others like this one

s-l300.jpeg