Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #11  
Although I have a TC 30 with a sub frame mount 757C , Really don'y think I would worry about the issue's that people had with 3 point B.H.'s to much . Seemed to be Isolated to the TC 30 and Several Questions that I had for those indivuduals was never answered .
1 ) HST Model or Gear Model ??
2) HOW tight were They taking up on the top link ??

Number 2 to me is Very Critical , regardless if 3 point or sub frame . After I back into the lower mount on my 757C , I connect the Hydraulics . Using them I line up the front sub frame holes to insert pins . Then I attach the top link . Using the Hydraulics , I extend the boom / dipper and barely add ground pressure with bucket and tighten top link . Basically , with tractor level , B.H. fully supported by tractor , I get maybe a 1/2 turn past hand tight on top link with no cheater . That is were it stays regardless of what I have dug . 700+ hours with everything from major boulders , trenches in hard clay dirt , stumps , etc... ,
No problems since tractor was new in 2005 .

Personally in looking how a B.H. attaches to 3 point , as in any other 3 point implement , I really Think people Over-Tighten the top link , Thus almost wanting to break the tractor in the center , due to the forces that the B.H. extends into the tractor unlike a regular 3 point implement would do . Again , Just My opinion , But have been studying this problem since several incidents were reported here on the Forums as I Do have the tractor that the issue seemed to originate from .

Fred H.

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #12  
Fred, I never realized the TC30 uses the 3pt top link. My 2003 TC40 with 758C backhoe does not. That would help to explain some of the different results.

I went and looked at it this morning wondering if I've been missing something for the past 11 years. :laughing: There is no place to pin the top link on the backhoe, the 758C manual doesn't mention it or show it.

My hoe has three tractor mount points: a rear-facing C-shaped carrier bolted below the rear transmission that carries a crossbar on the backhoe subframe, and the two pins at the front of the subframe left and right arms which extend forward to about the middle of the engine.

It does look like someone thought about it, there is parallel heavy metal coming up under the seat that could have become a top link mounting point if it were extended a bit.

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #13  
100_1530.JPG

Here is what my top link attachment area looks like . This is a 757C on a TC30 4 wheel drive HST model .

Fred H.

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #14  
View attachment 406023

Here is what my top link attachment area looks like . This is a 757C on a TC30 4 wheel drive HST model .

Fred H.

Now you've made me curious. There are holes for a top link pin in the same location on my 758C. I didn't look far enough back between those brackets before.

Does your backhoe manual say anything about the top link? Mine doesn't, but it really doesn't have a section with much detail about mounting the backhoe. Way back, my tractor was delivered with the backhoe mounted and it didn't have the top link connected. ??? I suppose it's entirely possible the dealer just didn't put it on. There was a top link supplied with the tractor.

Maybe another TC40 (2003 4x4 12-gear) owner with a 758C will chime in.

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #15  
I bought my 757C used at the same time I bought the TC30 new and Dealer installed it on the tractor before delivery . Thus top link was on it . Mechanic who delivered every thing walked me through the dismount of the B.H. and remounting of it , thus I have used it that way ever since ? I have a operation manual for the 757C but it does not talk about mounting it , etc.. , just it's operation .

Who Knows , Maybe my Dealer was a D.A. and I have been following his mistake for 11 years now !!:confused3:

It looking at the setup , to me it makes since to use a top link since it is another connection point for the B.H. besides just the " C " channel at rear and pins up front on the subframe . :confused:

Fred H.

/ Backhoe Recommendations for 2001 TC 40 #16  
I bought my 757C used at the same time I bought the TC30 new and Dealer installed it on the tractor before delivery . Thus top link was on it . Mechanic who delivered every thing walked me through the dismount of the B.H. and remounting of it , thus I have used it that way ever since ? I have a operation manual for the 757C but it does not talk about mounting it , etc.. , just it's operation .

Who Knows , Maybe my Dealer was a D.A. and I have been following his mistake for 11 years now !!:confused3:

It looking at the setup , to me it makes since to use a top link since it is another connection point for the B.H. besides just the " C " channel at rear and pins up front on the subframe . :confused:

Fred H.

Well, next time I have the backhoe on, I'll try it and see if it feels any different. It is another connection point as you say. Thinking about the angle, it should take some of the up and down weight from the backhoe. I'll be careful about how much tension I put on the top link.

Since the pin hole is there, and the removable shield is made for easy access to the pin, at this point I'm guessing it is supposed to be used. :)