Backhoe Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
Does anyone have any experience with either a mechanical or hydraulic backhoe thumb on a Kubota B-21, BX-23, L35, or L-48?

Am getting a new 2005 TLB L-39 with the BT1000 backhoe and would like to use a thumb on the bucket. I see that Deere make a tumb for their backhoe buckets but apparently Kubota does not.

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB #2  
A buddy of mine & a member of TBN (nobull1) has posted info regarding a thumb he purchased thru CDP Backhoe & has pics showing that. Do a search for Kubota Excavator & you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm going to mount that unit to my JD47 Hoe at a later date so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress and information. Good luck & hope this helps....

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB #3  
I don’t yet have one on my B21 but do have a friend from here on the forum that is making one for me. Personally I can’t see any reason that it will not be a valuable addition to the tractor. My only caution with a brand new machine would be warranty issues. There was a thread at one time where someone did a lot of damage to there hoe by using a thumb and was having big problems with warranty issues because of it. You might want to look into that so you know where you stand.

Sky Pup, I saw that you put a deposit down on a L39. Looks like a great machine I’ll look forward to seeing one. Mind if I ask what the price range you were quoted is?

MarkV

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB
The L39TLB is costing me $34,500 with the standard heavy duty round FEL bucket and an 18 inch backhoe bucket. The only options I am getting are a FEL tothbar and a thumb for the backhoe bucket. Could be here the end of February! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the note about the Kubota Excavator with the thumb, I did check that out.

I talked to my dealer about it and it appears that Kubota itself does not manufacture a thumb, however they utilize a major machinery manufacturer in Atlanta for this kind of thing and he is calling them to see what they do produce for Kubota. Thiese other place in Atlanta does produce thumbs for the Kubota excavators so maybe they can do same for my backhoe.

I told him I'd like to have a hydraulically operated thumb with a single remote to operate it off the L-39 TLB. It doesn't seem that this will be that difficult to accomplish, just would be nice if Kubota itself made these attachement themselves, apparently they do not even manufacture a toothbar for their own FELs. It seems that something like that sould be a standard accessory item available from them....

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB #6  
Skypup, I had a heavy equipment fabricator in my area install a hydraulic thumb on my new L48...I picked it up yesterday. It looks awesome, and I also had him fabricate and install a ripper tooth for the backhoe...the ripper tooth in conjunction with the hydraulic thumb is one mean looking combination! Tony

/ Backhoe Thumb for Kubota TLB #7  
Many of the Kubota TLB's booms accept the thumbs from the Kubota excavators.

My dealer mentioned to me he thinks this is the last year Kubota will be producing the TLB48, he thinks that the TLB39 will replace it and Kubota will upgrade the TLB21 next.

If you could post a pic of your custom thumb and ripper tooth, that would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif