Backhoe vibrates, and shakes

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #1  

Illcome

Tractor
John Deere 4110 + John Deere LX280
I have a 2012 New Holland Boomer 25 with a FEL and backhoe. It has 350 home owner hours. When operating the backhoe it vibrates and shakes. took to the local guy and after $100 all I got was a report on the pump. "just over 6 gallons per minute at a pressure of 2200 psi". The vibration happens while operating the backhoe in every position. If I go real slow it seems to stop but as soon as I move the control that's when it vibrates, stutters, shutters, and shakes. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #2  
Sounds like it needs a good grease job.

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #3  
Does the loader operate correctly? If yes then I would suspect a bad connection on the back hoe. Double check the quick disconnects going to the back hoe. I would especially pay attention to the tank or return lines.

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #4  
I have had this same issue with my backhoe, unhooked the hydraulic couplers, reinstalled problem went away.

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #5  
Generally the first thing to make hydraulics stutter is when the pump sucks air because the fluid is running low.

The guy testing the pump would have noticed that, i hope.. Plus on larger machines we're talking many gallons of fluid that had to go somewhere, and it's usually not a mystery when gallons of fluids come out!

I could see some very tight/binding pivot joints cause the stuttering, but there's almost always popping, and squealing noises that sound like 'metal torture' when you're forcing such things to move.

I can't visualize exactly what might be happening because i don't know what hydraulic coupler guts look like, but i have a feeling the hydraulic coupler thing is either correct or directly related. It sounds like you have some kind of orifice created by a moving part in a hydraulic supply line that is shared by all the functions, which is moving/closing in response to flow, and when flow stops it opens up and operation resumes. If it does that over and over very fast it would feel like vibration. Hydraulic disconnects have moving parts that close the line and stop flow. If the couplers are fully engaged to each other those parts SHOULD be held open and have no response to the flow rate. But, i guess depending on the design of the coupler it might be possible for them to be locked together mechanically and not leaking fluid, but for the parts which are supposed to be held open to.. not be held open?

I have seen something similar with tire valves aka schrader valves.. The female side of the coupling is supposed to have a post/stud that pushes open the valve on the male side. If that post is bent aside or falls out for some reason, the valve will not 'flow' just because you've coupled to it.. but if you put enough air pressure to it it will push open the valve with air pressure and flow anyway. The valve is just held closed by a spring, so once the pressure pushing on the front of it is stronger than the spring, it opens. If pressure crosses above and below that 'threshold' repeatedly in a short time, the valve would 'chatter'. Dynamic forces from opening and closing control valves, or running the boom/bucket into dirt would cause those pressure variations just like water hammer from closing valves in water pipes can cause them to vibrate.

IF you had something like that going on with a hydraulic coupler, on an open center hydraulic system there would normally be almost no pressure until you operated a valve. But if this was happening your pump would always be making the pressure needed to 'crack that valve' in the coupler and this might create noise at the coupler and heat in the fluid. I would sure just try inspecting any couplers to the backhoe before digging in deeper.. Noise, heat, leaking, and if nothing else just reseat them and see if it goes away!

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vibrates, and shakes #6  
If you don't find the problem in the quick couplers, see in the operator manual if there is a tractor control to disable the 3pt hydraulics when the backhoe is connected. Generally there is and you should cycle that control plus check to see that is in the right position.

If it's not that - and not the quick couplers themselves - then it might be that one of the overpressure relief valves on the backhoe control valve assembly has some crud caught in the inside relief valve face. That's common. They are simple to disassemble it and clean but be sure you know what you are doing and just do the one relief valve that needs attention. Go no deeper into the control setup.
rScotty

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes
All really good suggestions. FEL is working as it should, greasing the fittings that are way down below and under may have been (were) missed when I greased early this past spring, but disconnecting the hydraulic couplers (looked at em) and reconnecting solved the problem.That was some great advise and I thank you all for the help.

/ Backhoe vibrates, and shakes
Also I checked and rechecked the hydraulic level it was good before, during, and after the tests. I did note that the hoses were not real hot and they were not just warm but somewhere in the middle. I'm thinking that is normal.
Thanks again for all the good advice.