BackHoe

/ BackHoe #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I was working with the FEL last night and my backhoe kept creeping down more than usual. What would cause something like that? Should I be alarmed? I didn't have a chance to look at it close, but I will tonight.

/ BackHoe #2  
More than usual while you're working with the FEL, or more than usual while it's sitting still? I think it's pretty normal for these things to creep and per Deere specs the creep can be pretty fast. If I'm not using it, I put the lock pin in and I've even taken to running a tie-down between my stabilizers. Bouncing around doing FEL work doesn't sound like a good thing for the BH.

If it's really creeping more than usual, take a good look at the cylinder rods. If there are any scratches, you may have a nicked seal. Of course, you can't see the inner bore which can also weep.

/ BackHoe #3  
there is a switch or rather a adjuster under the front of the seat . this adjust the speed of the 3 point going down.did u mean the 3 point lowers while using the fel?

/ BackHoe #4  
dtd24 if you are running your backhoe off the tractor hydualics when you use the fel a lot it greatly heats the hydrualic oil. When the oil is hot it softens the seals and causes them to leak by more. Plus now add the bouncing of the backhoe while working the fel. Normal use with my tractor and the backhoe is fine but hard use with the hydrualics and I just use the transport lock to keep it from drifting.

Dave

/ BackHoe #5  
mit said:
there is a switch or rather a adjuster under the front of the seat . this adjust the speed of the 3 point going down.did u mean the 3 point lowers while using the fel?

An 8B on a 1070 should be subframe mount. Interesting thought though if he did mean the tph.

/ BackHoe
Yes the hoe runs off of the hydraulics and is a sub frame mount. I do understand the tph adjustment, but this is the hoe itself. I have been using the fel pretty hard so I think that is the answer. Probably a combination of the hydraulic fluid heating up and the bouncing around. I bought mine used and it didn't come with the transport pin. I was really green when I bought it, so I didn't know to look. I will have to get one or make one!!

Thanks for all the knowledge!!!!!

/ BackHoe #7  
I don't know your machine but on my #7 there are two transport pins. One for the boom, it's a 3/4 inch pin about 8 inches long. The other is for the swing. It's probably only 3/8 inch and about 4 inches. Come to think of it, I have the parts book for that generation of backhoes which does include the 8B. If you're interested, I can look tonight for the specific pin details. Mine was also used and was missing the swing pin. I picked up a standard pin from TSC to replace.

Let me know.

/ BackHoe #8  
Let me just comment why you really want to use that pin anytime the hoe is not in operation. Don't ask how I know.
If you are traveling along an incline such as a ditch bank and a hydraulic hose ruptures the hoe will swing downhill and may cause the tractor to tip.

/ BackHoe
Im pretty sure that is my issue. I placed a temp pin, stolen from by brush hog, in there and it was fine. I'm gonna shot over to TSC today to see if I can get another pin for it.

Thanks Guys.

/ BackHoe #10  
I did take a look in my parts book last night but it didn't show the sizes for the #8 pins. #7 is 5/8 for the boom and 1/2 for the swing. And a long shot... there are holes in each corner of the valve housing to store the pins (again, at least on the #7 there are). Any chance your pins are sitting there waiting for you to use?