Backpack sprayers

/ Backpack sprayers #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi folks, looking to buy a quality backpack sprayer for the black-berry war. Looks like I'm in between choosing either a "Solo model 475" or a "SP Systems model SP2". Does anyone have any experience with either of these two brands or other brands.
thanks again,
george

/ Backpack sprayers #2  
The Solo is a very good backpack sprayer. I'm not familiar with the other model you mentioned. I have a "Sun" backpack sprayer which works very well. All of the backpack sprayers are a BIG step up from the old canister system, where it seems like you spray for 1 minute and then must set it down to pump for 5 minutes before you can spray again. The backpack types are so handy and you don't have to stop spraying to pump up the pressure. Whatever brand you buy, just keep it clean and washed out after use, and I'm sure it will work fine for a long time.

/ Backpack sprayers #3  
George -

I've been using the Solo 425 (4-gallon, piston) for the last couple of years and I can't imagine a better backpack sprayer. Easy to fill, comfortable on the back and keeping it pressurized is so easy it's almost a subconscious motion. Reminds me of bagpipes -- a few pumps of the lever and it stays pressurized for a suprisingly long time.

Interesting note -- as good as the Solo is, it takes me hours to cover an acre or two, so I finally broke down and recently purchased a tractor so I can just brush hog the dang weeds. Now that I have the tractor and brush hog, I find myself considering another sprayer -- this one for the tractor.

Is this what they call the "circle of life"?

HarvSig.gif

/ Backpack sprayers #4  
Is this what they call the "circle of life"?

It's a circle -- that's for sure. The rest depends on what you're spraying/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Huck

/ Backpack sprayers #5  
I have a SOLO brand backpack sprayer and have not had any problems but I have not used it heavily. It does work well.

A word of warning though. I had to get at least three sprayers before I got one with all the parts. People were buying the things, using them once or twice and then returning them to the store. The stores were just retaping the boxes and reselling the product.

I ended up opening mine up in the store, making sure it had the instructions, and then going through the part lists against what was in the box to make sure that everything was included.

I was not happy about wasting several hours buying and returning used equipment.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Backpack sprayers
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like Solo is the way to go.

thanks again,
george