backup alarm modification

/ backup alarm modification #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
How many of you have disconnected the back up alarm horn/buzzer because you (your wife, neighbors, etc) find it annoying? Ever wish you had a horn to get someone's attention when they are out of shouting range? Maybe even wish once in a while that the back up horn was still connected? Here's an easy fix. Install an on/off/momentary switch so you can have the alarm work like normal in reverse (on position), be quiet (center off position) and function as a horn only as long as you push the spring loaded switch lever (momentary position). Switch was less than $10 (for a 3 pack) on flea bay, a few more dollars for the rubber cover, and most everyone should have some solder, or connectors around the shop.

110switcha.jpg110switchb.jpg

/ backup alarm modification #2  
Don't have a backup alarm on my tractor.
And when the seat switch failed, it was faster and cheaper to insert a jumper into the plug ends than it was to replace the seat switch.
I'm always belted in, so I never have to worry about falling out of the tractor and getting run over.
And I make it a habit to always stop, throttle down, and engage the brake before exiting the seat if I have to leave the tractor running.

/ backup alarm modification #3  
MY backup alarm has an ON-OFF switch. It is normally OFF unless other people are going to be nearby. Then it's ON.
If I did not have a horn too, I would consider your idea, it's a good one.

/ backup alarm modification #4  
How many of you have disconnected the back up alarm horn/buzzer because you (your wife, neighbors, etc) find it annoying? Ever wish you had a horn to get someone's attention when they are out of shouting range? Maybe even wish once in a while that the back up horn was still connected? Here's an easy fix. Install an on/off/momentary switch so you can have the alarm work like normal in reverse (on position), be quiet (center off position) and function as a horn only as long as you push the spring loaded switch lever (momentary position). Switch was less than $10 (for a 3 pack) on flea bay, a few more dollars for the rubber cover, and most everyone should have some solder, or connectors around the shop.

Thanks...An idea worth the effort (just to have). I disconnected the back up alarm on our golf cart about 12 years ago and never thought about it since...I think I will add a switch...probably when I get around to putting some (head) lights on it...been on the "to-do" list for almost 12 years...so it shouldn't be too much longer...I'm a multi-tasker...!

/ backup alarm modification #5  
This is a good idea. I may go back and do this.
I disconnected the wiring from the audible beeper and put small strobe lights in the rear of the tractor.
I figured it was a compromise.. the neighbors are happy, my ears are happy and the strobes will hopefully catch someones attention if I'm backing up close to them.

/ backup alarm modification #6  
That's a great ideal, thanks disney
:thumbsup: