Backwoods Home.com

/ Backwoods Home.com #2  
Todd,
Thanks, That is what I have been looking for.

2001 B7500 HST 302 Fel R4 Tires, Befco BRB60
Semper Fidelis

/ Backwoods Home.com #5  
Well I got a 1 year subscription today. We"ll so how it goes. Another good site I found was Countryside

2001 B7500 HST 302 Fel R4 Tires.
Semper Fidelis

/ Backwoods Home.com
Does this make us all survivalist's or are we just inclined to be more self sufficient based on latent concern for the future? Thanks for the add'l links. I'm looking at planning the new house to accomodate future Solar and am seriously considering Radiant Floor Heating. Any experiences to share?

Todd in Placerville

'98 NH 1920 4x4

/ Backwoods Home.com #7  
Todd,
I dont know if I would like to be labeled a survivalist/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I like what you said about inclined to be more self sufficient/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. When I think survivalist's I think of all them militant groups/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Only experiances on solar was when we were stationed in HI they had solar hot water and man that came in handy when a hurricane would blow in and knock our power out.

Semper Fidelis

/ Backwoods Home.com
Sorry if I offended Jim, Humor just doesn't come out the same electronically and I seriously doubt my Ruger 10/22 would qualify me for the militant type. I do however, beleive in the self sufficient aspect.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Todd

'98 NH 1920 4x4

/ Backwoods Home.com #9  
Todd,
No offense taken, I was kidding also/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I agree that its hard to get the right point across to someone electronically.

Also I have a few guns and I just purchased a new 22 for squirrel hunting. I never use to think about about self sufficiant till after what happened but now I would like to learn alot more about it and when you found that site I couldnt believe it cause that was what I was hunting for. I checked in to it a little bit just to make sure it seemed legit, also called and talked to them and they were really nice people. I also Found out about countryside mag from here at work, a buddie here gets it so he brought in a mag to check out and i figured since he gets that, that I would get backwoods/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Also we did have a nice Thanksgiving hope you did to. If you come up with anything else please feel free to email me. Well I have rambled on enough.

Semper Fidelis

/ Backwoods Home.com #10  
We built a passive solar home several years ago. The company's web site is: http://www.aaepassivesolar.com/index.shtml
We were looking for a post and beam solar heated home design. It was real hard to find anyone who would consider designing a solar heated house. Most people, architects, carpenters, plumbers, you name the trade - basically laughed at us. Then we found AAE - Solar is what they do everyday all year long.
Since we built I've seen other companies on the web but don't know how they would compare with AAE. We are very happy with our house and AAE. There were several companies around in the 70's during the gas crunch but they all went out of business. AAE has been around since the 60's I believe. I don't know exactly how much heat we get from the sun in the winter but from a rough calculation from our energy bills I would say about 50%. AAE supplied a complete energy analysis (heat loss/gain) of the home but don't remember the details now.
I have always believed that being self-sufficient when appropriate is a "good thing". And building a solar house the will use less energy for the life of the house is good for everyone.