Backyard Turkey's

/ Backyard Turkey's #1  

TMAC

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC45DA w/SuperSteer
Thought I'd share a series of pics containing a few turkeys that have been showing up for the last few weeks behind the house in the back field. The Lone Tom actually showed up for 7 mornings in a row. Then I have two hens that come out now and then but, to my surprise this particular morning they had chicks with them. This would be only my second time seeing wild turkey chicks.

Attachments

• DSC00002A.jpg
    DSC00002A.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC00004A.jpg
    DSC00004A.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 229
   / Backyard Turkey's
A few more of mister Tom. If he hangs around until fall I don't know if I can bring myself to harvest him. He surely is a pretty bird.

Attachments

• DSC00007A.jpg
    DSC00007A.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00009A.jpg
    DSC00009A.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC000010A.jpg
    DSC000010A.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC000011A.jpg
    DSC000011A.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC000012A.jpg
    DSC000012A.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 134
   / Backyard Turkey's
Here's the pics of the two hens and their chicks. 7 Chicks total I think. The last picture I'm trying to show the distance the birds are actually away from the house. I've been taking their pictures from the upstairs bathroom window.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 06Turkey19A.jpg
    06Turkey19A.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 06Turkey21A.jpg
    06Turkey21A.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 06Turkey23A.jpg
    06Turkey23A.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 132
  • 06Turkey24A.jpg
    06Turkey24A.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 142
   / Backyard Turkey's #4  
Mornin Greg,
Thanks for the nice pictures ! We have an abundance of them up here also, and my wife loves to see the chicks walking through the field :)

I would be in big trouble with the wife if one disappeared :)

/ Backyard Turkey's
Scott yes, they sure are nice to watch. Even though I'm a hunter I do respect all the wildlife. I try to give back as much as I take and never take more than I can eat. Interacting with and watching the wildlife is the most rewarding part of hunting. The other benefit though is the rewards from the harvest. It's nice to know that a person can still go out... harvest an animal use it to prepare a meal for your family without worrying about who's handled it and where it came from.

However my wife may have a guilt trip ready to put on me if I ever have a chance or decide to hunt this particular bird. Thanks for posting and your pictures I've seen on here from the hill top views are absolutely beautiful. I do have the person right Scott?

/ Backyard Turkey's
Well, on this day I woke up and was surprised to see another hen had joined the group. It looks like she brought 8 more chicks to the flock. Mr. Tom was bold acting today. He was herding them around like a border collie.

Attachments

• 06Turkey25A.jpg
    06Turkey25A.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 06Turkey26A.jpg
    06Turkey26A.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 06Turkey27A.jpg
    06Turkey27A.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 06Turkey30A.jpg
    06Turkey30A.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 06Turkey35A.jpg
    06Turkey35A.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 123
   / Backyard Turkey's #7  
I see lots of turkeys, sometimes having to hold up on dirt roads so a flock can pass unmolested. However, come hunting season - nada except occasional hens. Kind of get a hankering to nail one from my deer stand (when they seem to congregate just to annoy me) - but no, I wait until turkey season.
Anyhow, fine pictures. Thanks for sharing.

/ Backyard Turkey's
I know what you mean Cisco. Seems like I have more encounters too with them when I'm in a deer stand versus actually going out to hunt them. Thanks for the reply.

/ Backyard Turkey's #9  
TMAC said:
Scott yes, they sure are nice to watch. Even though I'm a hunter I do respect all the wildlife. I try to give back as much as I take and never take more than I can eat. Interacting with and watching the wildlife is the most rewarding part of hunting. The other benefit though is the rewards from the harvest. It's nice to know that a person can still go out... harvest an animal use it to prepare a meal for your family without worrying about who's handled it and where it came from.

However my wife may have a guilt trip ready to put on me if I ever have a chance or decide to hunt this particular bird. Thanks for posting and your pictures I've seen on here from the hill top views are absolutely beautiful. I do have the person right Scott?

Mornin Greg,
Yep thats me, sorry for the lag on the response!!! Yes, thanks so much for the compliments on my photos :) Im just havin some fun taking them and it is fun to have a place like this to share them, along with others that enjoy nice country shots :)

Keep up the good work !