Bad case of Seat Deprivation? or Kids Ice Rink?

/ Bad case of Seat Deprivation? or Kids Ice Rink? #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
The neighbors probably think I'm crazy, and the wife definately does. I spent a couple hours today "plowing" my yard.

Well actually I was skimming the snow off it to put on another area that I am trying to create a ice rink for my boys. I have practically moved all the snow from my back yard area and put it on the "rink" area.

Was kinda fun, but I did catch a few grass patches in the endeavor. Oh well that's what they make grass seed for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I decided last weekend that I would try and build an ice rink for my sons and their friends to skate on. I first started by scraping back most of the snow to create sides. Then tried to use my sprinkler to get the ice process going. Well it wasn't working well so a day or two later, I went and bought some plastic to put down.

Started process over again with the sprinkler. Wasn't going very well so my wife looked on the internet for some instructions /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif (Why didn't I think of that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) Well now I am back to adding snow on top of the plastic to create the initial base. It was warm today ~40 so it was packing pretty well.

I used the Kubota to gather the snow as well as pack it down. Then I added some water to try and seal it with ice.

We still have a long way to go, but hopefully we will get there. Both my sons are really excited for it to work, so I am kind of commited now.

I didn't think to take pictures, but I will try and remember going forward and post my progress if anyones interested.

Wish me luck..........I think I'm going to need it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bad case of Seat Deprivation? or Kids Ice Rink? #2  
Started reading your post. First thing I thought was why us he moving the snow. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Then finished reading rest of post. Wife to the rescue. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The only other option would have been to ask on TBN how to make a Ice Rink before you started the project. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But then you would not have started project. You would still be reading post. NO SEAT TIME. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
When we made a rink in our back yard. Used a roller to compact snow before spraying. Using FEL Float while backing up tractor also works. Your kids are going to enjoy the rink. Hope the warm up we are getting does not melt to much snow. But it is good for packing snow down before spraying when temp is below 32 degrees. Will be waiting for skating pics. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bad case of Seat Deprivation? or Kids Ice Rink?
Yeah I'm hoping the warm up doesn't kill it off either. That is one of the reasons I wanted to get as much snow on it yesterday as possible. I used the FEL in reverse to smooth as much as possible yesterday. Also the tires as rollers since I don't own one (borrow from BIL when I need it but he lives to far away for this).

This may be the last year I attempt this, but can't quit now until I have something to show besides divots and a snow/slush pile!