Bad design rant.

/ Bad design rant. #11  
I have seen this one, thankfully when I found out about the key on the end of the crank rod the AAA driver told me where to look. Mine's an 03. Rumor has it, spare theft is a big problem near where some of these trucks are designed.

First time I used AAA was also a truck and a flat. I had the jack out, the bolt holding the spare wasn't frozen and I got it loose, and I had the factory lug wrench, and one of those aftermarket 4-way wrenches. And just COULD NOT get the lugs to budge, even standing on the wrench with a cheater bar. The driver had one of the cordless impacts that were only just starting to show up on the market...worked slick.

My most common reason for calling is dead batteries, either due to stupidity (leaving a light on/door open) or cold (at 10 below, it doesn't take much to kill one). I've had a couple of tows for alternators and such. I had one where the company ate the tow fee because I agreed to use their garage instead of the chain further away (and they did a good job, I've had them do other stuff for me since).

/ Bad design rant. #12  
Many videos and forum posts on what to do if you've lost your Ford spare key.

This reminds me to go out and see if our new Ford Transit has one....

/ Bad design rant. #13  
I have seen this one, thankfully when I found out about the key on the end of the crank rod the AAA driver told me where to look. Mine's an 03. Rumor has it, spare theft is a big problem near where some of these trucks are designed.

First time I used AAA was also a truck and a flat. I had the jack out, the bolt holding the spare wasn't frozen and I got it loose, and I had the factory lug wrench, and one of those aftermarket 4-way wrenches. And just COULD NOT get the lugs to budge, even standing on the wrench with a cheater bar. The driver had one of the cordless impacts that were only just starting to show up on the market...worked slick.

BTDT more than once. The problem is with the tire shops mistorqueing the lug nuts. Watch them wiork. Grab a rattle wrench buzzz, pick up torque wench and apply "CLICK" Yep it's torqued...Not correctly it isn't. All he proved is that it is _at least_ as tight as what the torque wrence is set. His problem is that he last set tje ratt;e wrench to mount great big tires on a semi or farm equipment. Last time it happened the AAA responder had a cheater bar. Barely able to loosen them...except for one. That one had been cross threaded with a rattle gun.

/ Bad design rant. #15  
Amazing the winch wasn't totally seized. Up here in Canada, they tend to be. I remove my tire and have the undercoating guy spray the winch every year.

If we cut off hands or similar punishment for stealing, you wouldn't need that anti theft thingie.

/ Bad design rant. #16  
It pays to personally do an occasional 5 tire rotation, at which time one familiarizes oneself with the operation of the spare and its readiness. That's what I do on my 17 year old 3/4 ton. But AAA sounds like a viable option.

/ Bad design rant.
It pays to personally do an occasional 5 tire rotation, at which time one familiarizes oneself with the operation of the spare and its readiness. That's what I do on my 17 year old 3/4 ton. But AAA sounds like a viable option.

Absolutely. I have found the air pressure in the spares in my other cars to be low after years of sitting in the trunk. Now, they are not full sized so rotation won't work. And in my case, it is my responsibility to maintain the spare and know how to use it. The problem is, even knowing how to use it doesn't help when the tool is horribly designed and the jack fails even when it had never been used before.

/ Bad design rant. #18  
Absolutely. I have found the air pressure in the spares in my other cars to be low after years of sitting in the trunk. Now, they are not full sized so rotation won't work. And in my case, it is my responsibility to maintain the spare and know how to use it. The problem is, even knowing how to use it doesn't help when the tool is horribly designed and the jack fails even when it had never been used before.
On the 2004 chev suburban we added TPMS sensor to the spare, rest vehicle had it. Now shows on dash when low. Steve

/ Bad design rant. #19  
BTDT more than once. The problem is with the tire shops mistorqueing the lug nuts. Watch them wiork. Grab a rattle wrench buzzz, pick up torque wench and apply "CLICK" Yep it's torqued...Not correctly it isn't. All he proved is that it is _at least_ as tight as what the torque wrence is set. His problem is that he last set tje ratt;e wrench to mount great big tires on a semi or farm equipment. Last time it happened the AAA responder had a cheater bar. Barely able to loosen them...except for one. That one had been cross threaded with a rattle gun.
i know that feeling. first time I went to use the wrench on my car I broke it as the tire shop had way overtorqued the lug nuts. I still had to call a wrecker!

/ Bad design rant. #20  
BTDT way back when. Then I Bought a 1989 F150 (used). Spare under bed. First thing was stop at parts house for an 'in bed' mount. When I need a spare I want it where I can get to it not rolling around in the mud or snow!. Yes, it is sometimes in hte way but I accept that.
While the spare is very accessible it does get in the way of a bed liner or cover. And the sun tends to eat it too!