Baler hookup for TN series

/ Baler hookup for TN series #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
I have a baler with electric tie that I want to connect up to my TN 70D. Electrically its very simple just a hot and ground plus two wires going back to the baler. A little switch operates the tie mecahisim as needed.
My question is that since its a cab tractor I would A) rather not drill any holes, and B) would prefer not to have to leave the windows open just to run the wires out. Not a big deal and an obvious solution but a more elegant solution is likely possible.

So while considering places to mount this little box I noticed that A) the tractor appears to have no DC power outlets on the back except for the 7 pin trailer connector. I will need that for the baler lights. However, in the cab just to the right of the seat in the back is a 4 pin connector. I measured it and two connections appear to be 12V and two appear to be ground. So I was thinking I could tap power from two of these (a 12V and ground pin) and rewire the other two to a connector on the back of the tractor that way when its time to use the bailer just plug in the little control box in the cab and the baler to the back of the tractor and your ready to go.

Key issue is how much current can I draw from the connector? The baler needs 30 amps. I am sure the connector is fused but to what current level? Any body have a set of wiring diagrams for this machine? The owners manual does not even mention the connector and the dealer said "yep thats a power connector.....", they then proceeded to give me two different current specs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyone else have a better solution.

Fred

/ Baler hookup for TN series #2  
Re: Bailer hookup for TN series

You have two power outlets on the TN, 8 and 25 amp. The 8 amp is the single prong outlet besides the TPH control and, on my TN65, the 25 amp outlet is by the trailer outlet on the left rear.

/ Baler hookup for TN series

Bgott,

Thanks for the quick response.
I do have the power outlet by the TPH controls. It just a single socket with a platic cap.
A similar outlet is on the outside of the cab above the left door. It is for a rotating becon according to the manual.
But I do not have the one you refer to on the back of the tractor. Also just a single pin on your machine like the one by the tph control?
Instead I have this much larger 4 pin connector with a plastic flip up cover. Its very similar to the 7 pin trailer connector only four pins and its inside the cab.

Fred

/ Baler hookup for TN series #4  

He is referring to the 4 pin. The open station TN's have the 4 pin jacks on the back of the tractor for hook ups next to the 7 pin. As for bringing the wires thru, isn't there a rubber plug somewhere on the back of your cab that removes for wires to pass thru. This is common practice now for cab tractors to allow wires thru.

Good question. I don't know. Ill take a look....

I may break down and buy the service manual for this machine. The operation manual is pretty thin.
A wiring diagram would be a plus.

Fred

/ Baler hookup for TN series #6  

The 4 pin plug is rated at either the 25 amps stated or my recollection was 30 amps. Should run just about any baler actuator as long as you don't hold it at full extension or retraction for no reason. NH can supply a plug to match the 4pin socket, if you wish. You can remove the lower rear window, rotate it 180 degrees, and reinstall it. THat will give you a small open corner to run wires, control ropes, etc without having a window open. New holland square baler control boxes almost always have circuit breakers in them. More questions, just ask, or send a PM. I do this stuff often.

Rick,

Thanks.
I will give that a try.

Fred

Thanks for the help guys.
The connector is in fact fused to 40 amps. Fuse #19.

Found out the hard way. A problem with the bailer popped the fuse. But in the end I got it all setup.

Fred

/ Baler hookup for TN series #9  

That's interesting. My service manual and owner's manual only show 16 circuits. The manual supposedly includes cab models. My tractor is still in the shop so I can't run out and check it to see how many circuits it has. Did you tractor come with a supplemental manual for the cab? What year model is your tractor?

/ Baler hookup for TN series #10  

The 4 pin auxiliary power socket is on cabbed and open station models. On some open station models, it is protected by a maxifuse located under the instrument cluster and to the right. Not in the main fuse panel. Your tractor may vary. TN electrical harnesses and schematics vary with age and versions, to say the least.