Ballast box build

/ Ballast box build #1  

cperky

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025r with 120r front end loader, Hustler zero turn mower
I’m lucky to have access to a free welder at work and free scrap metal. I’m in the process of having a box built out of available materials. 3/4 inch thick plate on bottom and 1/2 inch thick plate on sides. All steel. How high off the ground should I put the lift arm pins? Picture to come in the near future.

Last edited:
   / Ballast box build #2  
Lift arm pin height will be determined by how low (or high) your 3PH hitch can/will go.... IF you can not set box on ground (flat surface) and unhook it, it means you have to put box on pallet or blocks to disconnect.... I made mistake of putting pins to low and had to add 3 inch square tubing under box so I can set it on ground and disconnect pins.... Having to locate a pallet or blocks to get box off can at times be a real pain and then there is the alignment and balance issue with pallet or blocks.... Yes I got dumb and tipped my ballast box over and at 600 pounds it was more weight than the lift capacity of my SCUT's FEL, what a pain to get it upright....

Drop 3PH hitch all the way down and measure from ball ends or hooks on your Pat's or Quick Hitch and put pins on box a couple of inches HIGHER (+/-) than that measurement .. Keeping in mind you have to have all the weight of box off the 3PH to remove box...

Last edited:
   / Ballast box build #3  
Lowest I would go is 6" from the bottom of the pin. Do you have a quick hitch or Pat's quick connect set up. You need to be below the pins before you can lift up. If you want to see how NOT to do it; I can show you mine (where I can only set it down on 6x6 blocks!!!

/ Ballast box build #4  
You may want to set blocks in front of tree so you don't nock it over when reconnecting. 3pt travels in an arc, try to adjust blocks so connect/disconnect is in center of travel. Someday when lumber prices come down you may want to build a stand for it.
20200705_134456.jpg

other ideas/pics here

/ Ballast box build
Lowest I would go is 6" from the bottom of the pin. Do you have a quick hitch or Pat's quick connect set up. You need to be below the pins before you can lift up. If you want to see how NOT to do it; I can show you mine (where I can only set it down on 6x6 blocks!!!
I currently don’t have a quick hitch or pats setup but am considering purchasing one or the other. I’ll probably space the lift pins to be compatible just in case I decide on a quick hitch in the future.

/ Ballast box build
You may want to set blocks in front of tree so you don't nock it over when reconnecting. 3pt travels in an arc, try to adjust blocks so connect/disconnect is in center of travel. Someday when lumber prices come down you may want to build a stand for it.
View attachment 698645

other ideas/pics here
That’s a great idea with the wooden stand! I appreciate the link to the OTT thread as well. Good information!

/ Ballast box build #7  
I currently don’t have a quick hitch or pats setup but am considering purchasing one or the other. I’ll probably space the lift pins to be compatible just in case I decide on a quick hitch in the future.

Pricey but quick & dirty way to get the lift arm spacing

When you haven't learned to weld, you think differently
20200422_155949.jpg

8000lb superwinch 3pt attachment

/ Ballast box build #8  
That's the first attachment I've seen that has made me audibly say "WTF". But if it works it works. I hope you used a whole lot of loctite.