Ballast Box Loading

/ Ballast Box Loading #1  

Ashland268

Tractor
John Deere 4066R
In a few days I’ll take delivery of a new Cat1 Titan ballast box. It has a max weight rating of 800#. Was planning on concrete.

Not even an hour after I ordered it a buddy told me he has a big piece of lead he wants to get out of his garage (10” h x 12” w x 18” L). Free.

By my calculation this thing should weigh right about 1k#.

Can anyone see any huge downside to carefully placing it inside my new BB with some sand around it to dampen any shifting….. and tractor on?

FWIW I did call Titan about this “overload” situation and they obviously couldn’t recommend it due to liability concerns….but the tech also said it was my “call”.

/ Ballast Box Loading #2  
No idea. My jd ballast box was rated about 700#, but they offered a top extension that took it to 1,200 pounds. I personally think this was more of a cf of concrete weighs so much thing. Adding the extension didnt change anything else. And it held just a tad over 1,200 pounds of concrete.

from jd site

• Weight of Rear Ballast Box – 88 lbs
  • Weight Filled with Sand – 616 lbs
  • Weight Filled with Concrete – 780 lbs
John Deere Ballast Box Side Extension Kit

The ballast box extension kits simply extends the side of the standard ballast box to increase it's overall capacity. The extension kit is probably only required on large 4000 series or 5000 series tractors where large amounts of counter weight are needed.

• Weight of sand filled ballast box with no extensions - 616 lbs
  • Weight of sand filled ballast box with extensions - 800 lbs
  • Weight of cement filled ballast box with extensions - 1,330 lbs

/ Ballast Box Loading #3  
That lead block is worth more as lead than a counter weight. Scrap it or sell it to a reloader and use cement for weight.

/ Ballast Box Loading #4  
I think your weight is okay. I found two place on the internet (so it must be right) that list a cubic inch of lead at .41lbs per cubic inch. Your block, 10 x 12 x 18, is 2,160 cubic inches. Multiply 2160 x .41 and you come up with 885lbs. Odds are that block is not pure lead so the weight would be slightly less.

At least that is what my math comes up with.

Lead is soft, you could cut off a little to get the weight down.

Doug in SW IA

/ Ballast Box Loading #5  
First - I agree with the cubic inches within the ballast box. However - a cubic foot is 1728 cubic inches. 2160/1728 = 1.25 x 807 = 1008 pounds.

Ashlands calculations are spot on. 4570 man is right on also. The lead is worth more to sell to a reloader than to use as ballast.

Sand is cheap - use it. Easier to load/unload.

/ Ballast Box Loading #6  
I would sell the lead and fill the box with heavy rocks with concrete used to fill the voids. Pretty cheap if you have rocks.
I mounted a chainsaw scabbard in the weight box before filling and works great for carrying my saw.

/ Ballast Box Loading #7  
One advantage of using the lead for ballast is that the Center of Gravity for the box would be lower than a concrete filled box. Always a good thing on a tractor. But the lead is mighty tempting for a reloader too. With the lead down low and not taking up much space in the box, you can put other things in the box you might need to carry on your tractor. I would not worry about the slight extra weight in the box. Should not be a problem. Having your tires stuck to the ground in all situations is a good thing. A good safe thing.

/ Ballast Box Loading #8  
One thing you may not have thought much about is how you are going to transfer the lead weight from your friends garage and into your ballast box. That little chore might not be as easy as you would think.

/ Ballast Box Loading
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your comments very much. I know what the lead is worth but a friend doesn’t take something from a friend under the assumption that he’s going to put it to use….and then go sell it. At least this friend doesn’t. If I did, I’d give him the money.

*when WWZ starts, I’ll cast bullets and share them with everyone. Until then it’ll be in my ballast box buried in sand with my chains and a small toolbox in the remaining space. If it somehow breaks the box, I’ll figure out a plan B.

P.S. I used 708#/ft3 x 1.4 ft3 to come up with the mass of lead.

Added : We are going to put in in my truck bed tomorrow morning with his engine hoist. From there I’m going to pluck it out with my tractor using the hook molded into the lead.

/ Ballast Box Loading #10  
Can always reinforce to box with some angle iron if needed.