Ballast Ballast question

/ Ballast question #1  

dickfoster

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538TLB
I finally got my new tractor yesterday, a Mahindra 1538 TLB.
Of course I sat myself down to read and study the manuals, what there is of them. In the loader manual it says specifically that if you're running a backhoe you have enough ballast and not to add liquid ballast to the rear tires. Of course my dealer filled the rears with water so now I'm wondering. I think I'll have the backhoe mounted most of the time since one of my primary uses for the tractor is gonna be getting rid of some of these stumps. I might be taking the backhoe off in the winter to make pushing snow around a bit easier. Any thoughts from you experienced tractor folks.

/ Ballast question #2  
If you plan on taking the backhoe off, leave the ballast in it.

/ Ballast question #3  
I use a ballast box when using the FEL even for snow work. I like the option of controlling the amount of ballast I have.

/ Ballast question #4  
I finally got my new tractor yesterday, a Mahindra 1538 TLB.
Of course I sat myself down to read and study the manuals, what there is of them. In the loader manual it says specifically that if you're running a backhoe you have enough ballast and not to add liquid ballast to the rear tires. Of course my dealer filled the rears with water so now I'm wondering. I think I'll have the backhoe mounted most of the time since one of my primary uses for the tractor is gonna be getting rid of some of these stumps. I might be taking the backhoe off in the winter to make pushing snow around a bit easier. Any thoughts from you experienced tractor folks.

If it is just water, I'd drain it out and get a ballast box.

If antifreeze / beet juice, washer fluid, leave it in if you are on solid ground.

/ Ballast question #5  
Dont think twice about it. I have my 3016 tires loaded with a bh. It doesn't hurt a thing. The only problem you might have is the eztra weight when you drive over a lawn making some dents un the grass.

You will NOT hurt anything in the tractor. The loaded tires put no stresses on the tractor as all the weight is in the tires, none is on the tractor.

/ Ballast question #6  
I use a ballast box when using the FEL even for snow work. I like the option of controlling the amount of ballast I have.

Hi daves1708 I was considering the same thing you suggest. I wanted my setup with a ballast box so I could remove or add ballast as needed. I'll be finish mowing and didn't want to dig up the yard too much. It sounds like it's working for you I think that's what I'm going to try myself. Sometimes I'd like a little extra weight but not always.

/ Ballast question
Yeah I do know that I need some sort of ballast to use the FEL properly so if I took the water out, I'd get a ballast box or make up some weights to hang on the 3pt.

/ Ballast question #8  
I haven't had any issues with the rear tires filled and the backhoe on. I'm not worried about ruts though, I only use a brush hog. But when I have the backhoe on I haven't left any ruts except in soggy/spongy ground.

/ Ballast question #9  
Most CUT's wont hold more than about 80 gallons of water (40 in each tire) so the added weight isn't going to make much difference on tire tracks in the lawn. I doubt the pressure on the tire is anymore than a person walking on it. IF you can walk across the lawn without leaving a depression, then your tractor can likely do the same thing.

Any of you mathematician's want to figure out the pounds per square inch of footprint for a typical 30 HP tractor tire and a 230 pound man's size 10 shoe?