Bandsaw Sawmill

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #11  
You might be able to find a used one in your price range. I know my father picked up a used Hud-son a few years ago, and knowing how cheap he can be, I'm sure he didn't spend a fortune on it.

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #13  
If you can weld, cut, use tools, rummage in junk and scrap mettal yards,and can live with a mistake that you fix, go for it. There are plans on ebay that are cheep and easy to follow. For every $500.00 you spend you will save @4,000.00 or more.

/ Bandsaw Sawmill
Well- Just a quick up date, and thanks for the good info. I bought those plans I cited above. Pretty nice for the price! But as was mentioned, Watch your prices before leaping into this! The engine I can understand ($650-, it is a Honda!), but $300-400, each for band saw wheels? Wow! Bearings, Carrage wheels,... etc, etc, I'll be banging against my $1500- budget in a hurry! I'll probably still go forward, abeit a little slower! Well, I did want a Winter Project! Willl, just got your e-mail, Great! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Here's another site for those so inclined: http://diybandmill.com/ ~Scotty

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #15  
if you have the time, skills and resources, go for it!

if you could find somone that started gathering parts and didn't finish it, that might be had on the cheap....

try looking at cook's, they have really nice bandwheels and i don't think they were that expensive......

i know a fella that used the car tire method.....says it works fine but i haven't seen it in action....

before you try the car tire method, be sure to look at cook's cat claw videos on proper sawing techniques.....he has a lot of good info. that is free.......goes in to detail about what happens if the wheels are the slightest out of round, etc.....

Well- Just a quick up date, and thanks for the good info. I bought those plans I cited above. Pretty nice for the price! But as was mentioned, Watch your prices before leaping into this! The engine I can understand ($650-, it is a Honda!), but $300-400, each for band saw wheels? Wow! Bearings, Carrage wheels,... etc, etc, I'll be banging against my $1500- budget in a hurry! I'll probably still go forward, abeit a little slower! Well, I did want a Winter Project! Willl, just got your e-mail, Great! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Here's another site for those so inclined: Home Built Bandsaw Bandmill - Build your own Bandsaw Sawmill ~Scotty

/ Bandsaw Sawmill
FHYoung'un- Yeah, I looked a Cooks. They want $597.- for 19". I think I'm going to have to go with Linn a $300 per wheel (21"). I've learned a lot surfing this deal in the last week! First of all, there's not many sources for wheels! I started this idea with the tire, ie High Pressure 'Donut' spares, but there's more to it that it seems. Tire 'trueness' is only one issue. You also have to cant the tire geometry 'toed-in' to get the blade to track properly. Just seems like another adjustment to deal with. Plus, going through all the frame building accuracy that I'm going to strive for, might as well 'bite-the-bullet' on one of the most important component- wheels, and alignment. Best Regards! ~Scotty

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #17  
sounds like a fun project. tentioning is important. also keep the engine large. small engines cut very slow with hard wood like oak.