Bar & Chain Oil?

/ Bar & Chain Oil?
A lot of good responses. I learned a lot.
I thought that there had to be a difference even though they are both 30 weight. Though it is good to know that if in a pinch motor oil can be used, I'm going to keep using bar & chain oil as it has a specific purpose (chain saws). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif G

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #22  
They used to sell Class A (non detergent) motor oil here for $0.50 a quart, then I used it. Now its up to $0.75 so I'm using the bar oil from Wally World at the same price.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #23  
I have to confess that I've been using 80W GL-4 gear oil for chainsaw bar oil.

This started when I drained the factory fill 80W stuff from the tractor's hydraulics and refilled with UTF. After draining the 14 gallons of 80W oil, it looked so clear and clean that I could not bring myself to get rid of it.

After many hours of chain saw work, there is still a little more than 10 gallons left. The chainsaw goes through the 80W slightly faster than heavy bar oil but the gas tank will run out before the bar tank goes empty. I'll be much older and grayer before that remaining 10 gallons gets used up!

Bar and chain wear seem normal (no appreciable wear). The saw is a Stihl.

Lou Braun

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #24  
Aside: Who's got the record for Most-Saws-Stuck-In-A-Tree at a time? I've had both of mine stuck at once--had to chop them out with an axe.
I had two stuck one time in a big 'ol Beech, BUT, was lucky enough to have a 3rd to get both of them out. Naturally, my nosy neighbor just HAD to stop by to see what I was doing at that particular instant. He still mentions it about every other day /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #25  
Over on the chainsaw forum
Chainsaw forum?? Where's that?
Thanx,

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #26  
I have used all of the above to lubricate the chains on many of the dozen or so saws that i have owned in my life...one thing that u have to remember tho!!!!cutting pine,and soft hardsoods is a completely different story than cuting something big like an old oak for firewood or a big hemlock or maple..the harder the wood the higher the heat the bar will sustain..therefore......trimming small stuff and smallsoft ..softwoods u can get away with 30 wt. used and new oils...bigger wood..always use the proper bar and chain oil...summer for summer and the thinner winter for winter...i have always had a min of 3 chain saws...since i was about 20
but lets see some big trees that someone has cut!!!!! thats what i wanna c!!! the above pic is of my little 41 husky that is used for climbing and small trimming....hence the #3 hook on the handle...my stihl ms 290 which is used for larger wood and limbs..and most of my felling!!!..and then there's my jonsered 2094 turbo with my 24" bar on it ...i also have a 4' bar for really large willows and huge oaks....with my 4' bar ...I always use winter grade bar and chain oil...100%!!!!
of the time!!!...if there is one thing i know and have done a lot of it is runnin and using chain saws...not to git a big head or anything but this is one of my true forte's.................

Here's a ???...does anyone ever file their bar?????
we'll c whose a real csaw whiz on this one and why????
what's the other 2 procedures that a bar needs???

so much i have to share but so little time...thought 4 another string!!!!i do all my own repairs and tuning on all of my saws...always!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif tootaloo 4 now guys

Attachments

• 441868-114_1499_2.JPG
    441868-114_1499_2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 236
   / Bar & Chain Oil? #27  
one more pic of baby ....momma ...AND POPPA BEAR!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
U WANNA talk bout a saw...i weigh bout 185-90 and am in pretty good shape and have 2 put the saw on the ground( with the brake on of course) with my foot in the handle and yank as hard as i can to start this monster..it sounds like a dirt bike when running!!!

I WANNAC THE PICS OF THE BIGGEST TREES U GUYS HAVE
CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 441871-114_1497_1.JPG
    441871-114_1497_1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 264
   / Bar & Chain Oil? #28  
HAD TO PUT SUMFN ELSE ON TO PUT THIS ON MY FAV'S SO SORRY GUYS BOUT THE EXTRA POST /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #29  
Yup, I've filed the bur off, evened things up , turned the bar over and resized the quide slot.

Ever think of electric saw when up a tree?

Egon

Last edited:
   / Bar & Chain Oil? #30  
The biggest tree I ever felled was a pecan tree that, before a storm broke it in two about 16' above ground, was about 50 or 60 feet tall. I put a tape measure around the base and it was 108" or something like that around. That was the tree I had both saws stuck in at once. It was so twisted up from the storm that you couldn't tell which side of a limb was in tension.

For some big trees look here: http://www.vannattabros.com/