Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #91  
Not getting your drift...I just offered some useless info and compared nothing about, heat, friction, oiling open or closed.
I full well know there can't be a comparison to an i.c.e and chainsaw bar oiling.
Perhaps you meant your post to Dodge man who I guess initially brought up a comparison?

Now if we were talking about two stroke vehicles..well...watch
You are correct; I posted to your comment in error.

/ Bar oil quality #92  
Two seasons ago, I tried using canola oil to lubricate my chainsaw chains. It seemed to work ok during use. However, after letting the saw sit for several months, I found the canola oil had become so gummy that the chain was frozen into the bar groove , and required a lot of work to clean out. I'm sure there are vegetable oil based chain oils that don't gum up , but I certainly won't try using cooking grade canola again.

/ Bar oil quality #93  
I use my old hydraulic oil from my tractors. Done it my whole life. Never had a problem.
When I first drain it I do let it sit so any contaminants settle to the bottom. Don't use the stuff off the bottom.

/ Bar oil quality #97  
That's great, but nothing you have said about your experience gives any indication one way or the other whether the used engine oil you are using is working as well as real bar oil. The fact that your chains always cut straight are an indication that you know a thing or two about sharpening chains.
You're right, John. I should have been more specific on bar/chain wear. My original Husky has cut over 100 cords to firewood lengths, my Pro Husky has cut over 200 cords. I've replaced one bar total so wear is not costing much extra. Yes, it does leave a black residue in the saw around the drive sprocket that doesn't bother anything outside of esthetics. So in my opinion, to answer this "Bar Oil Quality" forum, one can save ($10/four liter jug in Canada) considerably by using used oil. Like many people, I use synthetic engine oil in my vehicles. This oil should be even better for wear than chainsaw bar oil. Happy cutting.

/ Bar oil quality #98  
I use mostly a product sold by Baileys motion lotion, about 8 years ago they had a kick butt sale on it and I bought a case or 2. Still have a bunch left.
Did cause some discussion when I got big plain shipping boxes labelled "Motion Lotion" :)

Last edited:
   / Bar oil quality #99  
We run through a gallon or maybe 1.5 per year. Since chains and bars are rather costly compared to that volume of oil, plus I don't like the carcinogens in used oils, I think we'll stick with bar oil from the store. I got other things to be more concerned with than the cost of our bar oil. :unsure: