Bargaining for appliances

/ Bargaining for appliances #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
In '78 I got transferred to Oregon from Montana. Our refer, washer and dryer stayed at the house in Montana.

In Oregon, one evening we were browsing at a store that sold appliances, kind of as a sideline. We noticed a refrigerator we liked and for the **** of it made a low ball offer, not expecting they might deal. They went for it.

A few days later, my wife was at an appliance store and made an offer on a washing machine. Sold! At another store she made an offer on a dryer & they went for that, too.

We saved enough on the first 2 appliances to cover the cost of the dryer!

Always bargain! The worst they can do is say "No."

/ Bargaining for appliances #2  
In '78 I got transferred to Oregon from Montana. Our refer, washer and dryer stayed at the house in Montana.

In Oregon, one evening we were browsing at a store that sold appliances, kind of as a sideline. We noticed a refrigerator we liked and for the **** of it made a low ball offer, not expecting they might deal. They went for it.

A few days later, my wife was at an appliance store and made an offer on a washing machine. Sold! At another store she made an offer on a dryer & they went for that, too.

We saved enough on the first 2 appliances to cover the cost of the dryer!

Always bargain! The worst they can do is say "No."

Are they still in operation today?

/ Bargaining for appliances #3  
We still have the GE heavy Duty washer we bought in the base exchange in Naples, Italy in 1973...:)

/ Bargaining for appliances #4  
I always bargain on appliances. I ask for their best price. I tell them I will be visiting the opposition but will not tell the opposition their price. If theirs is best, I will come back.

This really p...es off some store staff. They want a price to beat by a couple of dollars. This is not fair to the other shop keeper.

One woman refused to give a price better than the one marked ( on a fridge) because I would not give my best price. I went to the counter and spoke to a male and he gave a price and I purchased the fridge.

Anyone that takes the marked price must have too much money.

Weedpharma

/ Bargaining for appliances #5  
I have has luck believe it or not at Lowes and Home depot, even better if it is in the isle and already marked down, or on special. Never tried it at an exclusive appliance store though.

/ Bargaining for appliances #6  
I have had a few "match the competition" price adjustments, but really never tried to bargain with an appliance salesman. Maybe I should have been doing this all these years.

/ Bargaining for appliances #7  
dedicated appliance stores make over 100% markup on their units. I found this out after getting prices on under counter icemaker for my basement. I got prices from 3 local appliance stores, then i was on a job and talking to a contractor i worked for. he had a direct buy program thru GE-Monogram and he got me the same ice maker i was looking for for less than 1/2 what the stores were quoting...and it included FREE curbside delivery from GE.

so im sure stores have some leeway.