Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #91  
My lot is very close to Lake Ontario, hence the land was once under water, and is very flat. Walkouts are not an option.

And, I never thought this many people would prioritize the stairs as being such an issue. I guess maybe these forums are populated by older generations while the younger ones are are TikTok and the like lol.
It just so happened that I had dinner with my 69-year-old single friend last night, he has been living in a barndominium for the last 30 some years. His barn is 40 x 80 with 780 ft.² of living space on the main floor.

At first, he wished he would have built the living space on the second floor as there were times that he needed the extra space but now that he is approaching 70 he says stairs have become an issue. He suggested building a little bit bigger and keeping it on the main floor. He suggested a few things:
Build a double fire wall in between the shop and living space with double 5/8 drywall on each side of the firewalls therefore almost 3 inches of drywall. Consider a fire suppression sprinkler system for the living space.
In floor hot water heat with lot’s of floor and perimeter insulation, he stressed don’t skimp on the insulation!
A split system, air conditioning with heat for the living space.

He built the barn on 25 acres of farm land he converted to vineyards with the intention of later building a real house on the property. Initially he was worried about the resale value, but now that he is older, he doesn’t really care.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
I learned the lesson, when my Mom started to get older, and she had me cover over the sunken living room and get all the first floor on one level. Then, six months later she had me convert the two car garage into a studio apartment, because going up the stairs scared her.

Twenty years earlier, I had access to a hydraulic car lift, from a service station i was helping convert to a C-Store, and I had offered to build her an elevator. But she didn’t like the idea. Once, she got old enough the stairs weren’t manageable, she wanted the elevator, but the pieces parts, were long gone.
My Mom is 85 and she uses two sets of stairs regularly, carries laundry up and down both flights still. I can see for some however it is a big issue.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #93  
And, I never thought this many people would prioritize the stairs as being such an issue. I guess maybe these forums are populated by older generations while the younger ones are are TikTok and the like lol.
Years ago my wife and I bought an acreage with a small house. I decided we would all sleep in the basement and that's what we did. My reasoning was that the stairs would help keep us young. It hasn't quite worked out that way.

I'm not sorry that we built out the basement as sleeping there is a lot cooler and quieter and if I got a do over I would do the same thing. What I'm saying is don't rule out the stairs as an issue. Make plans for an alternate way of getting up the stairs because you never know what life is going to throw at you.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #94  
My Mom is 85 and she uses two sets of stairs regularly, carries laundry up and down both flights still. I can see for some however it is a big issue.
God Bless your Mom!!!

As I was catching up on this thread this morning I had a reflective thought moment. None of the places I frequent have stairs. My youngest Son's shop and house have one step to enter. Eldest Son has none. Farm and Home store has none. O'Reilly's has none. I did go to the Courthouse last week to discuss some Township business and they have a dozen steps to enter from the South side. They are the only stairs I've used in the last couple months. :)

Don't let us talk you into or out of anything. But you opened the door when you finished the thread title with a question mark (?). :)

Well been busting my ass this weekend working on a stick frame version of my ICF house design. Still a few sheets to go. I also did design this version with a full basement under the living room as opposed to a crawl space there. Knowing what I know from previous estimates, I figure that adds probably close to $10k to the foundation.

It's unlikely I can afford to build this, but I will go through the effort of getting it quoted so I feel like I exhausted all options before choosing the Barndominium.

I surely cannot afford to build a house and a shop, so it's one or the other for now...

Stick-Frame_A-1_Reduced.png

Stick-Frame_A-2_Reduced.png

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #96  
Very nice!!!! Do you have a "friendly" builder that can give you a cost "estimate" on each of your drawings without spending money to get it?

For example, I'm curious what the cost p/sqft would be on a structure like this??

Thanks for the excellent drawings!!!

Very nice!!!! Do you have a "friendly" builder that can give you a cost "estimate" on each of your drawings without spending money to get it?

For example, I'm curious what the cost p/sqft would be on a structure like this??

Thanks for the excellent drawings!!!
So far builders have been basically not very engaging. In these times, I think they prefer to spit out cookie-cutter designs that they have built before so they can know their profit margin ahead of time. As of late, I am having more luck with younger builders, guys in their 30's. They seem more willing to take on new types of builds. The older builders in their 50's and 60's have been basically, kindly, telling me to go away, they don't want anything to do with my custom design. If they do give me an estimate, it's in the $400/sq-ft range as a go away price. I am still waiting for the younger builders to get me prices. In my area, a custom stick frame built home currently runs in the $250/sq-ft range. But that is if you pick a house plan that has been built before, and you're just doing minor tweaks...

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #98  
So far builders have been basically not very engaging. In these times, I think they prefer to spit out cookie-cutter designs that they have built before so they can know their profit margin ahead of time. As of late, I am having more luck with younger builders, guys in their 30's. They seem more willing to take on new types of builds. The older builders in their 50's and 60's have been basically, kindly, telling me to go away, they don't want anything to do with my custom design. If they do give me an estimate, it's in the $400/sq-ft range as a go away price. I am still waiting for the younger builders to get me prices. In my area, a custom stick frame built home currently runs in the $250/sq-ft range. But that is if you pick a house plan that has been built before, and you're just doing minor tweaks...
Yep. And from their perspective I completely understand.

So you think you can get the Barndo built under $200/sq-ft counting the total footage? Maybe? Figuring $100 for the open shop part and $225 for the living part?

Yep. And from their perspective I completely understand.

So you think you can get the Barndo built under $200/sq-ft counting the total footage? Maybe? Figuring $100 for the open shop part and $225 for the living part?
Not sure yet. I have two quotes so far for the barn shell, no concrete, no second story floor framing or stairs, just the shell. Those are both coming in at $150k. More estimates for the living space are incoming, another week or so.

I would say to build that barndominium with the garage and living space fully finished while leaving the shop side unfinished with just a stone floor is approaching $300k. The shop floor concrete alone with all the radiant heat equipment is likely $35k. Then the shop walls would need to be insulated an finished with interior steel etc.

I can't afford these numbers so will have to do as much of the work myself as possible.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #100  
Not sure yet. I have two quotes so far for the barn shell, no concrete, no second story floor framing or stairs, just the shell. Those are both coming in at $150k. More estimates for the living space are incoming, another week or so.

I would say to build that barndominium with the garage and living space fully finished while leaving the shop side unfinished with just a stone floor is approaching $300k. The shop floor concrete alone with all the radiant heat equipment is likely $35k. Then the shop walls would need to be insulated an finished with interior steel etc.

I can't afford these numbers so will have to do as much of the work myself as possible.
Yep, totally understand. In regards to my shop building, I hired concrete done. Hired the building erected and finished on outside as well as windows and walk-ins. I then insulated and lined the interior, hung the overheads, wired and plumbed it. Guessing I knocked $10K off the cost. Would have added $5 p/sq-ft to my cost.

Anxious to see what you end up doing. Thanks for taking time to keep us posted. (y)