Basic 3PH question

/ Basic 3PH question #1  

kjg26

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK55
In what situations would you use this slotted portion on the lower link lateral stabilizers (unsure on actual name) mostly use my 3ph for Bush hog. Have a auger and box blade (which I've yet to use) as well.

/ Basic 3PH question
Screenshot_20210617-201548_Gallery.jpg

/ Basic 3PH question #3  
Might allow bush hog to jump stumps/rocks better it it has some side play.

/ Basic 3PH question #4  
Pulling the pin in both arms will make hooking up to implements easy. Once hooked up to all three points you lift up the implement and reinstall pins to prevent major side to side movements... Dutchy

/ Basic 3PH question #5  
And to either center or offset the implement such as for road work.

/ Basic 3PH question #6  
Yep. Pull the pins, swing them way out, and you can back up to implement easier. Then you use them to adjust where you want the implement to ride left-right, whether that's centered or offset to one side. You will get tons of opinions on how "tight" to pin them to restrict side-to-side movement, but in general, you want some free play there.

You could in theory center something, pin one side, then push real hard and pin the other almost locking the implement from any side-to-side free play. That's a good way to break stuff, but nothing prevents you from doing that. I don't have anything I'd want that rigid, but I'm sure there's something that would benefit being set up that way. Box blade, bush hog, tiller, that sort of stuff, let it have a little play. You don't want it swinging wildly sideways, but a few inches of travel at least. Maybe a ballast box or carry-all you'd want a little tighter.

/ Basic 3PH question #7  
He is not asking about hooking up or when to pull the pins.

I think he is asking about when is a good time to install the pins in the SLOTS that still allow lateral movement.....however its limited and wont move as much as if pins are left out.

A Plow is the only thing that comes to mind for me. A properly set plow will track just fine and (in the old days there were sway chains) if either one was tight you didnt have something set right.

Nothing else off the top of my head do you want any side sway. Whatever is back there, you dont want it banging from side to side when raised. Thats how stuff bends and breaks.

/ Basic 3PH question #9  
Yep. Pull the pins, swing them way out, and you can back up to implement easier. Then you use them to adjust where you want the implement to ride left-right, whether that's centered or offset to one side. You will get tons of opinions on how "tight" to pin them to restrict side-to-side movement, but in general, you want some free play there.

You could in theory center something, pin one side, then push real hard and pin the other almost locking the implement from any side-to-side free play. That's a good way to break stuff, but nothing prevents you from doing that. I don't have anything I'd want that rigid, but I'm sure there's something that would benefit being set up that way. Box blade, bush hog, tiller, that sort of stuff, let it have a little play. You don't want it swinging wildly sideways, but a few inches of travel at least. Maybe a ballast box or carry-all you'd want a little tighter.
I bent the center bar and broke both (separately) tensioning (can't think of the name for them) gizmos because I did not have them tight when running the bush hog.

Tighten everything up very tight if you've something heavy, like bush hog, ballast box, WM or similar chipper.

The right hand lift arm has an adjustment for leveling the implement.

/ Basic 3PH question #10  
The slots permit the implement to sway (some).... which can be a good thing when pulling an implement through the ground since it can help prevent the ground imparting lateral motion into the tractor if/when the implement hits something that causes it to move to one side or the other.

Normally implements should naturally trail in the draft line of the tractor (if set up correctly), but hit a large rock or hard spot of highly compacted soil and the implement may try to flow around it. In that case if the implement wasn't permitted to sway it may just try to turn the tractor.

Of course, if it's a suitably large underground obstruction that little bit of sway isn't going to completely solve the problem, but it can help.

Overall it's not exactly enjoyable to have a tractor unexpectedly jerk away from the line you were driving - or come to a complete stop because you've hit an unexpected (natural) underground obstruction (e.g. large roots, rocks) ...and it's a good idea to verify the whereabouts of known & man-made underground objects as most of them don't respond too well to being hit/ripped up.