Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor

/ Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor #1  

bnew17

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 JD 5310 w/ 542 FEL
Ok I have had my tractor for several months and just got my first pto driven implement (7ft bush hog). I have a JD 5310.

Do I set the throttle and engage the pto all while in Neutral?

I have read where to engage the pto with the throttle down some to avoid slipping the clutch on the bush hog.

Assuming you engage the pto and set the throttle in neutral. I guess you then just shift into gear and go to work?

I looked everywhere in Manual and it just tells me to “Depress clutch pedal, start engine and push throttle forward until tachometer indicates rated speed of 1700 rpm for 540e or 2400 rpm for standard 540” .

/ Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor #2  
In general you should engage the PTO at low RPM, bring the engine up to speed and then put it in gear and start working. With most implements you can engage the PTO at idle to minimize the shock to the drive system.

/ Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor #3  
I have a Wallenstein PTO driven BX62S chipper. I engage the PTO at absolute low idle. Once everything is spinning - bring the engine up to PTO rpm and start chipping. This is based upon recommendations found in Wally Op Manual. Brush hog or chipper - PTO driven spinning mass.

/ Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor #4  
Engage at lowest possible speed. Had to rev the 4010 a bit but can engage the 2025R at 1300 rpm idle. Can be in gear or neutral.

/ Basic PTO question for John Deere tractor #5  
Also, have your implement slightly raised. Don't want it to be trying to cut up grass/debris/rocks/ground when first engaging the PTO. I slightly raise the implement, making sure that there's nothing around that I'm going to snag, come up just a bit off idle using the tractor's speed control, engage the PTO and, if there's no apparent problem (you'll likely feel things jostling around a bit- this is normal until, in the case of a rotary mower, the mass stabilizes [blades open out and self-balance]), crank up the speed control to proper operating speed (540 or, for larger tractors 1000) and then set the implement to it's operating position.

If you have a slip clutch then you'll need to make sure that it's operating as it should: back off bolts and get it to slip, and if it will slip, which means it's not frozen (and in need of attention), tighten back to proper spec.