Basic question for a "dummy"

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Call dumb, but I am not very good with high tech stuff and lingo. For the most part I'm just pushing buttons on these electronic whizzos hoping to get it to do what I want it. What do you folks mean by the term "thread"? For me thread means something your wife uses to sew up your pants or "threads on a bolt". Laugh out loud, but I warned you it was a question from a dummy. Thanks.

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #2  
You just started a thread. Imagine a board with a bunch of threads(strings) going off in different directions.

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #3  
Yep, "RE: Basic question for a "dummy" " is now a thread.

So are each of our responses a "stitch"?

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #4  
Question asking for help not dumb... topic..following topic.

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #5  
Not a dumb question at all Phillip. You started a "thread", a new topic, that may stretch on for days weeks or even years. This one probably won't as your question has pretty much been already answered, but "threads" can take on a life of their own, and "thread drift" has been know to occur. :) A thread is one small part of the "fabric" of the tapestry of this forum. A person can follow a "thread" from start to finish, if it ever does finish, by just starting at post 1 and continuing on and reading each post, no matter how convoluted and inane each post may be. :laughing: Thread drift is where the original question or topic of a thread is totally forgotten, and the thread drifts off into a totally different topic or topics that have nothing to do with the original. For instance while this post will only be post 5 or so, but what if I ask you about your Massey, and you answered and now the original topic is totally forgotten.?

Anyway, welcome to the forum and if we can help with anything just holler.

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #6  
Is thread drift caused by a weaver?

:)

Bruce

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #7  
Can anyone explain the purpose of these pallet formations I keep seeing in farm fields?

pallet.png

Steve

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #8  
There is already a thread on pallets in fields now that Steve has drifted off topic.

/ Basic question for a "dummy" #10  
Your posts are like stitches and just like stitches, posts can go in a straight line or zig zag or go completely off topic... all in a thread.