Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,511  
I like that quote.

My $1,193,762.40 EV learning misstep was expensive tution. Taxes ran the cost of our 2016 Leaf in October 2019 to $14,000.00.

On the same day that would have bought 282 shares of Tesla stock. At close today 22 January 2021 that $14K purchase would have been worth $1,193,762.40.

That says it all. A $14,000 investment goes to $1.2 million in less than 2 years.

So, now Elon Musk is the richest human on the planet.

MoKelly

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,512  
I like that quote.

My $1,193,762.40 EV learning misstep was expensive tution. Taxes ran the cost of our 2016 Leaf in October 2019 to $14,000.00.

On the same day that would have bought 282 shares of Tesla stock. At close today 22 January 2021 that $14K purchase would have been worth $1,193,762.40.

I get about $238,572. That's still a lot of money, but it's tough to time a volatile stock.

$14,000 would have bought about 56 shares of stock in Oct 2019. That would bump up to 282 after the five-way split, but that's 282 * 846 for today's value.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,513  
Did you not know about one for 5 for 1 split?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,514  
Yes, I accounted for it in my post.

#1,515  
1420 x $850 I will check out.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,516  
In any case, pretty nice growth in a year.

MoKelly IMG_1129.JPG

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,517  
The future looks good for electric powered cars. Within the next two years, we'll probably all be driving on flashlight batteries. There won't be any gas. :rolleyes:

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,518  
I believe that your calculations are inadvertently accounting for the stock split twice, so the end result is five times the actual amount of money.

Here is a two year price history for Tesla.
IMG_0853.JPG
You will notice that the stock price does not dive down by 80% in August of last year to account for the split. That would make it difficult to evaluate historical performance. So the graph sort of alters history by displaying post-split equivalent prices for pre-split quotes.

You could not have purchased Tesla at $50/share in Oct of 2019. It was more like $250/share. The easiest way to do the calculations is to ignore the split entirely, because it is already accounted for in the altered historical pricing.

#1,519  
I believe that your calculations are inadvertently accounting for the stock split twice, so the end result is five times the actual amount of money.

Here is a two year price history for Tesla.
View attachment 684073
You will notice that the stock price does not dive down by 80% in August of last year to account for the split. That would make it difficult to evaluate historical performance. So the graph sort of alters history by displaying post-split equivalent prices for pre-split quotes.

You could not have purchased Tesla at $50/share in Oct of 2019. It was more like $250/share. The easiest way to do the calculations is to ignore the split entirely, because it is already accounted for in the altered historical pricing.

Thanks I have a lot of learning to do about investing.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,520  
The future looks good for electric powered cars. Within the next two years, we'll probably all be driving on flashlight batteries. There won't be any gas. :rolleyes:

If this is true, we should begin selling stocks of oil companies short.

MoKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.