Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,112  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,114  
I was planning to put new tires on the daughter's pickup before the snow comes but I bought them 2 months ago and put them in the shop. The tire store said he felt like when the warehouses in the United States get emptied out that tires will be a little harder to get and at a higher price but who knows.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,115  
Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,116  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,118  
Oops, solar just got more expensive. Needs a government subsidy.

Says one customer: “The question someone had for me was, knowing what you know now, would you go solar? Probably not. It's costing me another extra 100 bucks a month just to be green.”

"As it is, solar customers are paying under 3 cents per kilowatt-hour for distribution. Under the proposed new bill structure, customers would pay a “demand charge” of $5.15 per kilowatt during peak demand times."

The bigger question is are non-solar customers picking up the tab for the extra cost from the home solar customers before this rate increase?

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,119  
Oops, solar just got more expensive. Needs a government subsidy.

Says one customer: “The question someone had for me was, knowing what you know now, would you go solar? Probably not. It's costing me another extra 100 bucks a month just to be green.”

"As it is, solar customers are paying under 3 cents per kilowatt-hour for distribution. Under the proposed new bill structure, customers would pay a “demand charge” of $5.15 per kilowatt during peak demand times."

The bigger question is are non-solar customers picking up the tab for the extra cost from the home solar customers before this rate increase?
That's an extra $100 in what is essentially a solar tax, not an extra $100 vs not having solar at all. IOW, his bill will go to about $100 per month vs the $3 per month he was paying before, which was with him providing power back to the grid, not taking. Considering all the complaining about the grid needing to be updated and how we're thinking about paying trillions more in taxes for infrastructure, you'd think we'd want more people generating their own power, not less. But then that assumes your goal isn't to support and maintain the local electric monopoly.

This will continue to be a problem as more people move to solar. The existing bureaucracies and government regulators will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo, which means maintaining grid and production these customers may not even use, and if they do, will use less over time. The solution for homeowners of course is to go off-grid and tell the electric companies to pound sand, which I'm sure many will, although eventually governments will likely try to impose a general 'electric grid' tax on all citizens whether they use grid-connected power or not, all in an effort to maintain current cash flows. After all, when 90% of your customers leave to generate their own power, how much would the remaining 10% have to pay to keep the system in place? They won't be paying 10 times more that's for sure - they wouldn't stand for it - so you know where that money will be coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.