Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,151  
Or this...

Step 2​

Locate and engage the shift lock override. Vehicles with electronic shift lock have manual overrides. Look for a tiny, removable panel on your shift selector. Pry this panel up with a flathead screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver into the hole to engage the manual shift lock override.

Dad on cell phone... "Ok sweetie, now look for the shift lock override and pry the cover off..."

:rolleyes:

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,152  
Getting back to EV vehicle owners paying road tax to me that will take care of itself. As we see more EV vehicles you'll see an increased power demand with a power grid to match demand. It has to... whether hydro, solar, gas, wind, etc. Larger and more towers. That's passed on to consumers.
The US grid has 50% excess capacity at night which is exactly when EVs need it. Besides, if 10¢/kWh is enough to build our current capacity then why would it cost more than that to build additional kWh capacity?

All taxes always increase and eventually EVs will be taxed for road use same as gas/diesel is today.
Alabama, $200/year. Double the gas tax rate per mile.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,153  
The US grid has 50% excess capacity at night which is exactly when EVs need it. Besides, if 10¢/kWh is enough to build our current capacity then why would it cost more than that to build additional kWh capacity?

Alabama, $200/year. Double the gas tax rate per mile.
And luckily, ALL EVs charge at night!
Never during the day at peak demand. Batteries always fully charged during the day lol

Are you including state gas tax? In CA .63 cents/gallon. PA .58 cents/gallon.
Poor folks gotta pay those taxes, too.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,154  
12v battery is very important in an EV.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,155  
Hey, I found the answer to my dead battery park-to-neutral on a vehicle with an electronic shifter question.

It's as simple as that on a Dodge Ram.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,156  
Range extenders.
They're on it!
A small suitcase range extender for emergencies and a trailer range extender for long trips.
From the article:
“Other potential solutions included a mobile charging pack, an adaptor to make all electric vehicles compatible with the most common charging station, and options to transport more battery replacements. The “wild” concept was a new service offering in which a recharging service provider brings a portable recharging station to drivers. The drivers could schedule recharges anywhere, on-demand.”

If this is the solution, how does a rescue vehicle drive to the dead battery EV possibly miles ahead in congested traffic? One can walk a gallon of gas to an ICE vehicle. What will the recharging pack weigh? I bet a lot.
Maybe a new business opportunity in the offing? Linebacker sized non-birthing/birthing persons with jumper backpacks waiting for helpless EV drivers to be stranded in endless backups in the Lincoln Tunnel? Lol

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,157  
I'd be more concerned with an ICE running out of gas in that scenario since EVs use essentially no power at all when 'idling' (since they don't idle). An EV could probably sit in a traffic jam like that for days and use about the same amount of power as if there was no jam at all. Nonetheless, there are companies today that offer mobile EV charging where they come to you in just such emergencies. A few minutes and you have plenty of juice to get to a charging station.
I think they use energy to run the AC /Heater.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,158  
I think they use energy to run the AC /Heater.
Ouch! Imagine no AC and unable to lower the windows! Cant even run the emergency flashers!
People would have to get out and stand in traffic.
Not a good scenario in tunnels or on bridges.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,159  
Ouch! Imagine no AC and unable to lower the windows! Cant even run the emergency flashers!
People would have to get out and stand in traffic.
Not a good scenario in tunnels or on bridges.
EVs should be equipped with manual crank windows. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,160  
Alabama levies a $200/year tax on EVs over and above the license plate. That is the equivalent of 25,000 miles of gas tax.

Not at all fair at more than double to tax of a gasoline/diesel vehicle.
Idaho is similar- from the state code:

ELECTRIC VEHICLE
FEE — plug-in HYBRID VEHICLE FEE. (1) An electric vehicle fee of one hundred forty dollars ($140) shall be collected in addition to all other registration fees assessed pursuant to this chapter on each electric vehicle registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.