Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,561  
Sounds like great stuff for the rich birthing/non-birthing persons!
The poor, non south facing, non home owning, no garage having, apartment/townhouse/condo living, smaller bank account, ~250 million other Americans will have to be environmentally bad people and drive their shameful, inefficient ICE vehicles.
How many beautiful trees need to be cut down so solar panels will work efficiently?
The rich keep getting richer and better than the great unwashed by the day! Funny how that works. Seems “unfair”, though. Lol
IMO, too many Americans are left out. The only way you can be a perfectly green little citizen is with big money.
The aim should be to get a lot more Americans driving EVs, because the goal should be a cleaner environment, not just end up with the rich to subtly guilt those who can’t afford EVs.
No, as much as I hate to admit it the goal should be to get more people to use public transportation. At the end of the day though, all of the talk about EV vs ICE is merely tilting windmills, until people stop ignoring the elephant in the room- the planet's ever increasing population.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,562  
Tomorrow, I am driving our Prius Prime 850 or so miles north to visit my elderly parents. I will need about 12 gallons of gas and no prolonged stops unless we want a break from driving. If I was driving an EV, I would need to stop for a couple of hours 2 or 3 times at a minimum. This would turn my 12.5 hour drive into 16-18 hour marathon. Most likely, it would mean I would need to stay in a hotel along the way, eat more meals out and...wait for it...use more power and a ultimately contribute more total CO2 to the environment than the 12 gallons of gas I will use.
It might be true if you are comparing the power used to the gasoline, but probably not if you figure the amount of power used for the same time period.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,563  
No, as much as I hate to admit it the goal should be to get more people to use public transportation. At the end of the day though, all of the talk about EV vs ICE is merely tilting windmills, until people stop ignoring the elephant in the room- the planet's ever increasing population.
Actually the elephant has been put on a diet for decades in many countries and we are more concerned about population implosion. The shortage of people is getting to be a serious matter. China's population is to start a long term decline in 2030. After that all population growth will mainly be in India and Africa.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,564  
Actually the elephant has been put on a diet for decades in many countries and we are more concerned about population implosion. The shortage of people is getting to be a serious matter. China's population is to start a long term decline in 2030.
It's about time. I wish that was the case here including incomming.

"Shortage of people" has never made sense to me.

#3,565  
#3,566  
It's about time. I wish that was the case here including incomming.

"Shortage of people" has never made sense to me.
I think it's actually more of a shortage of employable people. This shortage of qualified people is preventing some of the companies from doing their larger rollout with EVs. Elon Musk has picked up 90,000 people making over minimum wage tightening up the supply. While he does not do direct advertisement for car sales he is always doing promos to bring awareness to college students about coming to work for them. They are battery and people restrained today.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,568  
Actually the elephant has been put on a diet for decades in many countries and we are more concerned about population implosion. The shortage of people is getting to be a serious matter. China's population is to start a long term decline in 2030. After that all population growth will mainly be in India and Africa.
We're constantly under criticism for not doing enough toward health problems in those same regions you mention. When that get's addressed, Africa is going to become the new China in a lot of ways. While the world population has increased 2 1/2 times in the last 60 years, that of the US has only doubled... and a percentage of that is from immigration. You can't expect that much of an increase without having some type of impact.

I've been following this thread from the start, but had nothing to say because the main posters have forgotten more on the subject than I will ever know. 👍

I don't think that EVs are the panacea which some would like us to believe but they have their place, and will continue to grow in popularity, thanks to the believers who are currently supporting the technology. For one thing we are merely shifting our pollution problems to another continent; just as we did with much of our manufacturing base.

I'm waiting for the Maverick to come out as it's more suited for my needs; decent mileage for trips, especially when I drive 200 miles to visit my mother for the day. I make about a dozen trips per day back and forth to my garden 1/4 mile up the road... if I'm not mistaken I could do that on battery. My Colorado will have around 75K on it by then, and I would park it in the garage for when I need it.

GM is also scheduled to come out with something next year, but they just shut the nearest dealer down, apparently because it's too small. I don't care to buy another one of their products.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,569  
EVs of today have a very narrow use case…but for that use case they are fine (moderate weather, moderate daily use).
^ This.

One of the top reasons I don't want to see all of the eggs in one basket.

I've done Winter commutes I wouldn't wish on anybody....... 1 hourish drives, that turned into 2.5+ or +++. Having to keep massive amounts of heat on a windshield to keep it clear during an ice-storm.... I'd hate to be watching a battery display while doing that.

Today, in a large metro area like Toronto, a 1+ hour commute is "normal". So it's not just rural long haulers who have to consider this Winter de- rating aspect.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,570  
^ This.

One of the top reasons I don't want to see all of the eggs in one basket.

I've done Winter commutes I wouldn't wish on anybody....... 1 hourish drives, that turned into 2.5+ or +++. Having to keep massive amounts of heat on a windshield to keep it clear during an ice-storm.... I'd hate to be watching a battery display while doing that.

Today, in a large metro area like Toronto, a 1+ hour commute is "normal". So it's not just rural long haulers who have to consider this Winter de- rating aspect.

Rgds, D.
Yours is a question I've been waiting to see addressed. It's 200 miles to my mother's house... apparently just about the range of most EVs. If I drive down at night, how does running headlights, heat, and windshield wipers affect that range? If there's an accident on the highway and I'm stuck there for an hour; what powers the heater? (and dome light, so that I don't get run into.)
I try not to let my fuel tank get below 1/2 for those reasons, for me an EV is pushing the envelope and goes against every survival tool that I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.