Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #41  
I think the electric car business needs the equivalent of the 20 lb propane tank as a battery. Keep a small semi permanent battery built into the car, but have a large battery that is either automatically swapped, or easily user swapped for the main charge. Run the whole bit like the propane tank swap so it is quick and simple. The battery charging is handled by a business and is done offline from the car. No waiting for a battery to charge as a customer. Batteries can get better without being tied to a car.
For the driver, it's just like buying gas.

Totally impractical. I struggle with a large 12V battery...no way I want to deal with a battery swap every day.

Give me a 300 mile range, over night charge to full capacity, and minimal loss in storage over 10 years, and I am on board. No need to haul a trailer, but I need A/C, heat and defrost.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #43  
I think the electric car business needs the equivalent of the 20 lb propane tank as a battery. Keep a small semi permanent battery built into the car, but have a large battery that is either automatically swapped, or easily user swapped for the main charge. Run the whole bit like the propane tank swap so it is quick and simple. The battery charging is handled by a business and is done offline from the car. No waiting for a battery to charge as a customer. Batteries can get better without being tied to a car.
For the driver, it's just like buying gas.

not sure how successful this has been but

Chinese Nio ES 8 electrics are made to be battery exchanged

Nio ES8 - Battery Swap Station - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #44  
For anyone thatç—´ interested in talking about the politics behind EVs, there are topics over on Friendly Politics. IIRC, this is about the forth attempt to have a non-political discussion about EVs.

That's nice to know!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #45  
For anyone that痴 interested in talking about the politics behind EVs, there are topics over on Friendly Politics. IIRC, this is about the forth attempt to have a non-political discussion about EVs.

That's pretty funny considering the fact that the worthiness of battery powered vehicles has absolutely nothing to do with politics...unlike like a majority of the O/T threads here... seems like a lot of folks here don't have a clue about the underlying politics of topical subjects...and I don't mean just the ones that obviously rode the short bus...:D

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
Am I the only one here who owns a Tesla?

Tesla currently has 704 Supercharger sites in the USA. Most have 8 or more charging stalls of at least 120 kW each. Some have over 24 charging stalls. Rarely spaced much more than 100 miles apart, adding 100 miles of range to the battery takes about 20 minutes. Battery charge rate slows the last half, so it is faster (and kinder to the battery) not to charge to full.

With 250+ mile range there is little need to charge anywhere but overnight at home but for cross country travel. And that is exactly what the Supercharger is intended. The "gas station" model does not work, and is not needed.

See the map at Supercharger | Tesla

Which model and year do you have?

If going new Tesla would be my choice since they contain the best technology.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #47  
This is of interest to me. It’s 200 miles to my mother’s house. If I could go down on a charge, plug it in and have it refreshed overnight (I have 220 volt power to my father’s old work shop in my name) it might be worthwhile. Questions I’ve never been able to figure out though; what do headlights and wipers do to the range? In winter you need some type of snow tires, as well as defroster and/or heat. What do they run off? If I get caught in a winter storm and the road gets shut down because somebody went off the road, do I use my energy to run the heater and lights, or freeze my tail off so that I can make it home or to a charging station?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #48  
It’s sorta the same as running a petro engine till the tank goes empty. No difference really.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #49  
This is of interest to me. It痴 200 miles to my mother痴 house. If I could go down on a charge, plug it in and have it refreshed overnight (I have 220 volt power to my father痴 old work shop in my name) it might be worthwhile. Questions I致e never been able to figure out though; what do headlights and wipers do to the range? In winter you need some type of snow tires, as well as defroster and/or heat. What do they run off? If I get caught in a winter storm and the road gets shut down because somebody went off the road, do I use my energy to run the heater and lights, or freeze my tail off so that I can make it home or to a charging station?
If it's a super cold day, it might be a stretch to make 200 miles on a charge.

Tesla and other electric car batteries lose 40% of their range in extremely cold weather: AAA - MarketWatch

I suspect there are other sources to give the effect of more intermediate temperatures. I've read that some drivers use the seat warmers to reduce the amount they need to use the heater. The seat warmer is apparently more efficient at keeping you personally warm, with less wasted energy.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #50  
It’s sorta the same as running a petro engine till the tank goes empty. No difference really.
The difference is that I don't. Generally when the gauge gets to 1/2, I'm looking for a station.

Status
Not open for further replies.