Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,271  
TSLA --- here we go again..........!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,272  
TSLA --- here we go again..........!
Do you think there any short sellers covering still going or is the world just starting to realize the EV cost savings and yet Tesla is the only EV maker selling their vehicles at a profit?

#5,274  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,275  
I just read an article that said enough batteries to move a 747 from NY to London would weigh some ridiculous amount. It then compared the power densities of hydrogen, jet fuel, batteries, etc... per pound.

Based on that, I don't think moving large objects like containers ships with batteries is going to be a viable option. The batteries would weigh more than the cargo and ship combined.

#5,276  
Ships and jet planes may not be as comparable as you think.

Read the next to last subheading about smaller electric container ships deliver containers up the MS River for example. Batteries will be in cargo containers for fast swapping at ports.

Without power ships float but planes crash.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,277  
I just read an article that said enough batteries to move a 747 from NY to London would weigh some ridiculous amount. It then compared the power densities of hydrogen, jet fuel, batteries, etc... per pound.

Based on that, I don't think moving large objects like containers ships with batteries is going to be a viable option. The batteries would weigh more than the cargo and ship combined.
When we talk about ships we can return to the past, a lot of research on modern sails, automation etc so things happens.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,278  

I don't foresee batteries as the only source of lower pollution energy. I know some aerospace companies are looking into hydrogen and electric engines (or a combination thereof).
Fission and fusion power generation (fusion seems to be a fast coming technology reality).
Of course, wind and solar power, to a much lesser extent.
But until countries such as China and India (which account for some 25% of fossil fuel pollution) join in, there's little probability there'll be significant reduction in global warming

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,279  
I don't foresee batteries as the only source of lower pollution energy. I know some aerospace companies are looking into hydrogen and electric engines (or a combination thereof).
Fission and fusion power generation (fusion seems to be a fast coming technology reality).
Of course, wind and solar power, to a much lesser extent.
But until countries such as China and India (which account for some 25% of fossil fuel pollution) join in, there's little probability there'll be significant reduction in global warming
Yeah, the article was on a hydrogen fuels airplane. It was comparing the power that could be squeezed from each pound of fuel source. I wish I could find it again. It was just yesterday. Grrrrrr.... (at least I remember what I had for dinner last night).

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,280  
This was the energy density chart I was looking at the other day.

Horizontal is mass.
Vertical is volume.

By weight or by volume, batteries can only store about 2-3% of the energy that aviation fuel can. Hydrogen can store way more energy than aviation fuel, but it takes up way more volume.

When operating large container ships, both weight and volume have to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.