Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,531  
The world should have had that "problem" a century ago. Thanks to mechanization, automation, and robotics, the human race doesn't need an endless supply of labor.
^^^^ Well said. Nothing but earth's method of population control in this finite world. Does any thinking person think the current growth can continue forever?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,532  
All '66 in line American sixes I'm aware of were great, whether Rambler (AMC), Chrysler, Ford, G.M.
Indestructible. Fifty five year old Bronco still going!
I dunno on the Ford sixes...when I was in school had a Falcon with the 170/3 in the tree. OK on gas, but couldn't get out of it's own way.
Couldn't kill the Chrysler slant 6s, not sure I'd want one in a big boat like a Fury though (and they were the base engine).
Some of the 8s were great too. I drove a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L (Chrysler 318) for 350,000 miles. It was still running fine when I sold it. The first 318 came off the line in '64. Great engine.
+1 on the 318s. '68/69 was the first I was aware of them, I thought the 272 was Chrysler's small V8 before that.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,533  
^^^^ Well said. Nothing but earth's method of population control in this finite world. Does any thinking person think the current growth can continue forever?
What is definition of 'growth'?

I think growth can continue forever..... just maybe 'different' growth than what you are thinking of.

Haven't we -as a species- been growing forever already??

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,534  
I see growing prices for necessary items, while my pension is not growing at that rate.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,535  
I see growing prices for necessary items, while my pension is not growing at that rate.
So what are you going to do about it? ✌🏼

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,537  
What is definition of 'growth'?

I think growth can continue forever..... just maybe 'different' growth than what you are thinking of.

Haven't we -as a species- been growing forever already??
Historically different human populations have expanded and went extinct over the pass 200K years of modern human history. Volcanoes, ice ages, floods, wars, pandemics, etc impacts are clear from physical and written histories.

Human freedom is a rare bird. I grew up listening to people singing about people selling their souls to the company store for example.

Just like when tractors and trucks came available most people couldn't afford them. Some would badmouth that paradigm shift yet others were motivated to save so they could become part of the paradigm shift. Often it was even a family or community effort.

As we can read here paradyme shift responses are predicable. Tractors did 'not' save the world but they help us feed more soldiers to fight bigger wars but that fact did not make tractors evil.

EVs will 'not' save the world. EVs are evolving today just like tractors and trucks did 100 years ago because they make more financial sense for many people.

We don't advance as a society listening to people with limited vision and knowledge. Until two years ago I never realized I could own an EV with a new battery with 150 miles of range for less than $14K that cost 3 cents per mile to fuel.

EVs make $$$ and sense to more and more today yet I am forced when driving my EV to avoid crashing into a horse drawn buggy or wagon carrying small children with NO slow moving sign especially after dark.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,538  
EVs make $$$ and sense to more and more today yet I am forced when driving my EV to avoid crashing into a horse drawn buggy or wagon carrying small children with NO slow moving sign especially after dark.
I have the same problem. Not with horse and buggy though (last one I saw had not only an SMV sign, but the SMV was totally bordered by functioning red LEDs. Looked sharp, on an enclosed black buggy), but rather modern vehicles with digital dashes.

I see way too many of those ^, running well past dusk or the middle of the night with zero exterior lights on.

I that case, Lights are Off AND Nobody's Home. Humans !

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,539  
I had a repair business for 43 years, retired over 7 years ago. It dawned on me a quote I thought of one day: "Today's new and improved is tomorrow's junk".
If you really think about it, and I don't mean go to a dealership looking at "all the shiny pretty 'creature comfort' vehicles", especially with some salesman telling you how great it is, how non-polluting it is; lots of things aren't all that great.
I'm not saying mankind should have stopped progress before the industrial revolution, but the only way new things are purchased is by embracing it believing old is bad new is good.
Maybe let the new buyers be the guinea pigs until bugs are ironed out and prices drop.
Personally I'd prefer choices. If I want a diesel tractor and gas 2 stroke chainsaw in 2036 it should be available.
Infrastructure spending is great for some things (I'm apolitical) but shouldn't be forced on taxpayers who don't want it.
Someone posted this picture on another forum of wind turbine blades being buried by a bulldozer (frame of size reference) so everything has a cost, one energy source creates pollution somewhere else. Recycling causes pollution and takes energy.
There's no free lunch. People, everyone should consider all aspects whether consumers, politicians, voters...everyone before believing something is so great or the solution to a problem.
2021_11_07_15.56.24.jpg

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,540  
So GM has 68,000 non recyclable batteries to dispose of. Anybody heard of their plans for this GREEN ENERGY ???

Status
Not open for further replies.