Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,701  
I’ll happily go on record and say Tesla all by itself will make more profit in the next 20 years than all those companies combined. By a lot.
By a country mile if Tesla's net annual profits are $1 trillion+ as some financial firms predict by 2040.

#5,702  

While currently this is not cost effective technology I am impressed enough to follow it's development. Marry this to the solid state hydrogen technology above would be like cooking with gas.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,703  
Does anyone realize all the hurtles that must be overcome?
It's one thing to make a prediction that Tesla and other EV car, truck, tractor (road & farm), motorcycle, etc. sales will double each year going forward.
What you have to consider are all of the ramifications. Basically the end of fossil fuels and coal. The present electric grid system by some estimates must be upgraded quadrupled. That means HV towers, solar farms, wind turbines everywhere and I mean no more mountain landscape but a landscape of towers, windmills, nuclear plants, etc.
Not to mention all of the "buggy whip" gas stations (and repair garages) either destroyed (you must remove all those nasty buried tanks by EPA standards). In place will be a myriad of charging stations, public and private (at apartment and townhouse complexes), motels, restaurants, homes, businesses, etc., etc., etc.
All this with the (approval?) of local, state and federal agencies.
Advocates and predictions may be correct...by 2050 we may be like the Jetsons in self-flying "cars". We may have colonized Mars (which we'll immediately fudge up like we did our planet Earth).
I retired from a company I had eight years ago, 43 years of consumer electronics repair, primarily television and yes...that exact buggy whip reference was applied to that business as well. With good reason! Who in their right mind would have a television repaired today? Not with stores open 24/7 and a large set can be bought for cheap.
The irony is this save the planet ecologically sound idea is to manufacture and sell everything: even cars with disposability in mind with the realization that from start to end of it's life (manufacturing plant and equipment, the product itself, maintenance, any attempt at "recycling", and disposal) CREATES pollution!
I can forsee if a federal EV mandate were imposed, if people were forced into going electric and no longer able to own/operate/purchase petroleum fuel for their car, truck, tractor, fuel oil, natural gas or propane furnace, burn wood, there would be another Civil War.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,704  
I think we will see more and more renewables for decentralization, peak demand and clean energy. We will also see natural gas continue to replace dirty coal, because it is cheaper, less capital intensive to build, cleaner and more flexible that dirty coal. EVs will change the supply structure, but that's not necessarily bad.

#5,705  
Fuddy1952 living in fear of the future is not truly living in my experience. You are in a panic over nothing at all.

Dad bought 40 acres to start farming in 1951. He had next to no equipment. Our neighbor had no tractor but had a team of mules that pulled a one row cultivate and a two row corn planter that he would loan to dad many years after tractors came onto the market.

Yes gas powered lawnmowers are going away for financial reasons. No one forced me to buy an electric lawnmower but it made sense in my case.

We all are aware car makers are abandoning ICE powered vehicles per their press releases.

The earth is NOT in need of saving. Global cooling and warming cycles are millions of years old.

Ocean levels have risen 400 feet in the current global warming cycle and since not all of the pasting ice age ice has melted sea levels are expected to rise more.

The option to not living in changing times does NOT appeal to me so bring on the changes. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,706  
I have to take issue with a few of your statements:
"Fuddy1952 living in fear of the future is not truly living in my experience. You are in a panic over nothing at all."
I'm a realist. I'm looking at the big picture, not that new is always better. I try looking at any possible agenda or purpose of change.
How will switching to EV affect our electric bill. Think it will be higher?
"The earth is NOT in need of saving. Global cooling and warming cycles are millions of years old."
With a PhD Geologist brother I understand this...but THIS is the big fallacy.
Switching to electric means going green.
Isn't that the reason? Petroleum and coal are dirty we're to believe.
Why is gas almost double what it was two years ago?
No matter what we do (pollution measures), what about Russia, China, India?
"The option to not living in changing times does NOT appeal to me so bring on the changes. "
Really?
I'm sorry but I can't agree by looking in the entirety America and the world is better now than in the past. Some better, some worse.
Rather than accept change why not question it? It's not paranoia but looking at the big picture.

Last edited:
#5,707  
I have to take issue with a few of your statements:
"Fuddy1952 living in fear of the future is not truly living in my experience. You are in a panic over nothing at all."
I'm a realist. I'm looking at the big picture, not that new is always better. I try looking at any possible agenda or purpose of change.
How will switching to EV affect our electric bill. Think it will be higher?
"The earth is NOT in need of saving. Global cooling and warming cycles are millions of years old."
With a PhD Geologist brother I understand this...but THIS is the big fallacy.
Switching to electric means going green.
Isn't that the reason? Petroleum and coal are dirty we're to believe.
Why is gas almost double what it was two years ago?
No matter what we do (pollution measures), what about Russia, China, India?
"The option to not living in changing times does NOT appeal to me so bring on the changes. "
Really?
I'm sorry but I can't agree by looking in the entirety America and the world is better now than in the past. Some better, some worse.
Rather than accept change why not question it? It's not paranoia but looking at the big picture.
Fuddy1952 did you wake up this morning as Pro EV as you were late last night? :)

#5,708  
https://www.popsci.com/story/environment/wood-pellets-sustainable/

Climate Change has been going on for millions of years and I expect it will continue for millions of years after humans are extinct. The concept of thinking man controls the climate boggles my mind. Our egos are over inflated and always in Fight Mode it seems.

EVs are replacing ICE vehicles because they're lowering the cost of transportation and health care. Governments are not highly concerned about the cost of transportation but ALL are concerned about runaway health care cost. The Pandemic is advancing to move to EVs by 20+ years.2045 projections may be realistic by 2025 in a few countries. The freight train has left the station and traveling at a high rate of speed so be careful at the train crossings in your i c e. :)

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,709  
"EVs are replacing ICE vehicles because they're lowering the cost of transportation and health care. Governments are not highly concerned about the cost of transportation but ALL are concerned about runaway health care cost."
So which statement is correct, lower cost of transportation or lower health care cost?

Car& Driver: "According to Quartz, the average cost of a new car in June 2019 in the U.S. was $36,600. This was a 2% increase from the year before. However, according to data from Cox Automotive, the average cost of an electric vehicle decreased from $64,300 to $55,600: a 13.4% decrease from the year before."
New ICE cars start at $15,600 (Kelly)
New EV car starts at $30,750 (Edmunds) Mini Cooper...110m range.

Why did fuel increase so much within last year? (Diesel $3.25 to $4.50/gal in LA).

So you believe someone (car manufacturers or the government? Cares about lowering your transportation and health care costs?
Really???).

Car & Driver: 3 year (45,000 mile cost analysis):
Mini: $0.0853 per mile/ $3,839
Mini Electric: $0.066 per mile/ $2,970
Hyundai Kona: $0.0909 per mile /$4,091
Hyundai Kona Electric: $0.066 per mile / $2,970
So over three years a $1K (roughly) fuel savings.
However!:
Two considerations not in the statistics are initial cost (roughly double EV vs ICE). That $15,000 initial savings could be invested more than offsetting that $335/ year savings.
Also unknown will be the inevitable electricity cost increase (assuming our friend uncle Sam simply doesn't print more money making this all part of the infrastructure package). If illegal immigrants get free stuff maybe we will too.
EVs are only as clean as the grid they are charged from and battery disposal or recycling to be considered.
Bottom line is in the future I'd much rather have a choice, making my own decisions rather than a mandate forcing things down my throat. All situations aren't equal.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,710  
I’ll happily go on record and say Tesla all by itself will make more profit in the next 20 years than all those companies combined. By a lot.

By a country mile if Tesla's net annual profits are $1 trillion+ as some financial firms predict by 2040.
Don't know what you guys are smoking, but it must be the really good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.