Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,801  
On that Tesla fire, it would be nice to know the cause , however - "Investigators have not yet revealed the cause of the fire".

in 2019 there were over 500 car fires a day and 20 per day were arson.
"in 2019 there were over 500 car fires a day and 20 per day were arson."
But you'd have to factor in % ice vehicles vs EV vehicles. I'd be curious to know (I'll be dead by then though) in 2060 IF 90% of all vehicles were EV, how many car fires a day will there be?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,802  
All of knee jerk climate change reactions is spilling my Coolaid.

I hope to never buy another ICE vehicle after experiencing a low end EV. I have come to realize my anti-EV thoughts of yesterday were based on nothing more than ignorance due to lack of first hand experience.

I do hope our 2010 F-150 with the 10K tow package and 220,000 miles on it is good for a half million miles.
right tool....

Even your basic EV today - good for short local runs.

Moving a disabled vehicle a 1000 miles or further... better hope your F150 is still around.

Putting in a large PV array is looking even better, given where I believe grid rates are heading to here, not that many years out.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,803  
Here in Europe it's going to be a interesting winter, natural gas crisis, break down in electrical supply, prices wil destroy people with lower income, suppose a lot og people will freeze to death if it's going to be cold in central Europe.

Energy supply is a political matter that a lot of today's political broilers are way to disconnected to understand the long lines, depending on Mr Putin for energy is a bad idea.
You can always "depend" on the US to ship you some really expensive stuff! (the ever-pro-trade US tried to kill the Norstream pipeline- such actions invariably helped increase costs)

Nuclear will be your future. Take solace in knowing that Putin won't be in such an equation! ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,804  
Politicians moves faster than technology and industri and we end up as this, Germany and Sweden shut down nuclear power plants with no real replacement as solar and wind is to unstable.
We in Norway has hydro, 90% government owned, sounds nice but the Norwegian government are 100% market oriented so they export all they can to EU, earning ridiculous amount of money on electric power and of course natural gas and the citizens have to pay EU prices to keep the lights on. Hopefully it will spark some reaction and real protest on the street.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,805  
"in 2019 there were over 500 car fires a day and 20 per day were arson."
But you'd have to factor in % ice vehicles vs EV vehicles. I'd be curious to know (I'll be dead by then though) in 2060 IF 90% of all vehicles were EV, how many car fires a day will there be?
Since 2011 there have been 50 EVs catch on fire. Average 5 a year.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,806  
Politicians moves faster than technology and industri and we end up as this, Germany and Sweden shut down nuclear power plants with no real replacement as solar and wind is to unstable.
We in Norway has hydro, 90% government owned, sounds nice but the Norwegian government are 100% market oriented so they export all they can to EU, earning ridiculous amount of money on electric power and of course natural gas and the citizens have to pay EU prices to keep the lights on. Hopefully it will spark some reaction and real protest on the street.
WOW! Great to get more insights, though not great to hear about what is actually happening. I know that at one point Norway was garnering a fair amount of money from oil and that production has been in decline, in which case selling electricity is how they (the govt) is making up for that?

Without a doubt it's not a good strategy to rely on limited (non-"renewable") resources.

NOTE: Even hydro has a limited lifespan. Dams have an average lifespan of somewhere around 150 years (might be less).

NOTE 2: Not that it matters in qualifying my discussion in regards to Norway, but I HAVE been there (for work) :D (best Indian food I'd ever had was in Oslo)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,807  
Sweden had a public election on keep or shut down nuclear, this happend many years ago and to day in not so sure people would have woted to close them today.

Germany did go in to panic after Fukushima and the result we see now.

Here in Norway we felt Tjernobyl accident, we got quit a bit of downfall, sheeps was radioactive and had to go on special diet before slaughter, wild fish and game was unhealthy to eat in large quantities so the risk is there.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,808  
Many claim that there's newer nuclear and that it's "safe." I'd love for that to be true, but then I realize that human hubris knows no bounds and that nuclear isn't something that we can afford to be wrong on. I do know that there's a big push behind the scenes for nuclear power and that those doing the big pushing know very well that they'll be able to sell it: first get everyone totally dependent on electricity; throw a few switches off and people will then clamor for nukes. I know that fossil fuels are problematic and are finite. And even IF something was safely and totally renewable there's zero mathematical chance that it could scale to infinity (which is just what our "economic" models push- infinite growth). We fail to ask the right questions, so the answers are never appropriate: I fear that this will also apply to EVs...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,809  
Many claim that there's newer nuclear and that it's "safe." I'd love for that to be true, but then I realize that human hubris knows no bounds and that nuclear isn't something that we can afford to be wrong on. I do know that there's a big push behind the scenes for nuclear power and that those doing the big pushing know very well that they'll be able to sell it: first get everyone totally dependent on electricity; throw a few switches off and people will then clamor for nukes. I know that fossil fuels are problematic and are finite. And even IF something was safely and totally renewable there's zero mathematical chance that it could scale to infinity (which is just what our "economic" models push- infinite growth). We fail to ask the right questions, so the answers are never appropriate: I fear that this will also apply to EVs...

Although I think fusion power will be the answer...ultimately, the interim answer is nuclear power. Nuclear power has, IMHO, a very bad rap, and talked up way too much by people who live in a dream world or are sensationalists with no clue...
For a more realistic assessment of nuclear power, watch some of the Youtube channel, Illinois EnergyProf (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKH_iLhhkTyt8Dk4dmeCQ9w)
The "problem" with fusion power is it is still years, perhaps decades, before it'll be viable....now, wasn't too long ago, fusion was said to be impossible...
Nuclear or fusion may take care of our electrical energy needs, but until countries like India, China and Russia (about 25%-30% of pollutants) get on board, global warming and all the attendant issues, won't be controlled adequately.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,810  
Well, the easiest reduction on pollution would be reduce consumption, make ting last long and be easy to repair. Reduce the use of plastic and use metal as metal is possible to recycle for ever, how have we got to accept at a car to be almost a disposable item? Rust, engineered low life with rust, unrepairable parts and labor cost to make it uneconomical to keep it alive.

We buy and buy the same products many times over and over again whitout any added value just design to fail, why is this not an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.