Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,851  
Here's my take on solar...
My average electric bill is $75/month
That's $900/year.
The Fidelity Puritan fund lifetime average is 8.63%, let's average that down to 8%.
$11,250=$900/ year at 8%.
I have two choices: spend $11,250 in solar or invest it. Solar requires maintenance, please don't say "I went solar 20 years ago, never spent a dime on it". All told...even doing all your own work at $0 labor not much of a system could be installed for $11,250.
My power company a couple weeks ago cut a tree down for me at no cost, it was near power pole. I pay for power but don't have any maintenance cost (or ugly panels to look at).
In 10 years I still have my $11,250. (I realize past performance no guarantees...but Puritan started in 1946).
Now, time to tell me how stupid I am...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,852  
Before installing a standby battery bank, I would wait a bit and
see if V2G takes root here. This is Vehicle To Grid and it is
being done in other countries (such as Japan). This uses the
electrical vehicle battery for power to a home during outages, power
use during high demand times ('brown-outs')
You have seen hints of this if you've seen the commercials for
the electric F150 lightning. The truck plugs into the house for
power during an outage. Inverter power.
The advantages of using an EV for this are many.
However, we are waiting for the USA (mostly it's utilities) to
move on this. Lets hope they can move on it.

Of course I'm still waiting for my flying car that Popular Science
promised me long ago.
I bet that F150 lightning is pretty inexpensive too.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,853  
TVA power is tax payer supported like ICE fuel so cost is less than 11 cents. I think they pay the homeowner the same thing that they pay TV a for the electricity wholesale which is like nothing. Annual bill is $5K+.

Solar would be more like the horses another hobby.

#5,855  

This is a guy that built his own carport frame and I posted just for the ideal actually he's got a couple videos because he is stick building it so that's quite boring unless you're looking at how to fabricate. I like the way the project turned out.

This is a free-standing build in the state of Arizona that gives a lot of detailed information.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,856  
Here's my take on solar...
My average electric bill is $75/month
That's $900/year.
The Fidelity Puritan fund lifetime average is 8.63%, let's average that down to 8%.
$11,250=$900/ year at 8%.
I have two choices: spend $11,250 in solar or invest it. Solar requires maintenance, please don't say "I went solar 20 years ago, never spent a dime on it". All told...even doing all your own work at $0 labor not much of a system could be installed for $11,250.
My power company a couple weeks ago cut a tree down for me at no cost, it was near power pole. I pay for power but don't have any maintenance cost (or ugly panels to look at).
In 10 years I still have my $11,250. (I realize past performance no guarantees...but Puritan started in 1946).
Now, time to tell me how stupid I am...

Not stupid at all. Doesn't look like the economics are there for you to do solar and I wouldn't in that case either.
Here in CA, the power probably costs a lot more than what you pay (we've been known to have $500 months in the summer, and our light months were $200), and the solution to that math problem may change quite a bit.
(Actually I doubt solar has much "maintenance" to be honest, but after 20 years it's probably going to be time to replace panels, which often doesn't enter into calculations like this either!)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,857  
Not stupid at all. Doesn't look like the economics are there for you to do solar and I wouldn't in that case either.
Here in CA, the power probably costs a lot more than what you pay (we've been known to have $500 months in the summer, and our light months were $200), and the solution to that math problem may change quite a bit.
(Actually I doubt solar has much "maintenance" to be honest, but after 20 years it's probably going to be time to replace panels, which often doesn't enter into calculations like this either!)
Also I bet you get way more sunshine than we do.

#5,859  

This is a technical piece as to how Tesla is ahead in EV manufacturing and still gaining speed over the others plus it shows the SpaceX advantage.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,860  
Is there any truth to the rumor of Rivian in talks to buy out VDL Nedcar? Or is it just talks to set up a European presence?

Status
Not open for further replies.