Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,881  
Tesla officially moves headquarters from California to Texas: Tesla officially moves headquarters from California to Texas
The new corporate headquarters address is listed as: 13101 Harold Green Road, Austin, Texas 78725.
When I drove by the new billion $ factory two weeks ago it did not look like it was ready for occupancy.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend Samsung announced a mega 17 billion $ chip factory to start construction 28 miles from Tesla on Williamson County Road 407 Taylor Tx.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,882  
It will be very interesting to see how Toyota bZ4x will do in the EV market.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,883  
It will be very interesting to see how Toyota bZ4x will do in the EV market.
I think they'll sell millions of them. I prefer the Subaru variant, (they are twins) I expect it will have more ground clearance and other 'utility vehicle' bias, but both sound they will sell well. And I think the Subaru version is better looking, without Toyota's recent zoomy styling.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,884  
I think they'll sell millions of them. I prefer the Subaru variant, (they are twins) I expect it will have more ground clearance and other 'utility vehicle' bias, but both sound they will sell well. And I think the Subaru version is better looking, without Toyota's recent zoomy styling.
We'll see, I'm afraid Toyota's ridiculous conservatism might hit them hard in a market that is fast changing and tech focused. Here in Europe the competition is very hard on EVs.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,885  
has anybody done a deep dive into the Ford Lightning?
Sounds like a great fit for us.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,886  
I'm not so sure about that...guess it depend on how much range one needs and, of course, the price of the vehicle
I live in a fairly rural area but most of my trips (other than going to work (50 miles one way)) are probably under 10 miles (groceries, dump runs, things like that) and are on secondary roads with 30-50 MPH speed limits. I'd have no problems going with a relatively short range (100 miles range) EV.
Of course, I'm a lot older (72 next month) and most of my running about is behind me except when there is a need
I would buy an EV for those purposes in a heartbeat... if it was priced accordingly.
I don’t give two shakes about bells and whistles. I want dependability, heat in winter and AC in summer. Something which I can easily get in and out of; my 2004 Ranger was the first vehicle I’ve ever owned which should have had a tilt wheel. In the case of an EV I want at least 200 miles range in all types of weather; that equals a range of 100 miles plus reserve in case I get caught someplace where weather or an accident shut the road down for a period of time.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,887  
We'll see, I'm afraid Toyota's ridiculous conservatism might hit them hard in a market that is fast changing and tech focused. Here in Europe the competition is very hard on EVs.
I think your take on Toyota is correct. The leaders in the industry do not see Toyota making the swing to EV'S very successfully. They blew it back in like 2012-14 when they was building the RAV4 off of the Tesla platform. The story from inside Tesla where it's true or not I do not know but that they were so conservative they wanted Tesla to back down their technology to be more compatible with their backward ways.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,888  
This article speaks the uncomfortable truth;

“Avoid” refers to reducing the need for transport in the first place.This involves planning new urban areas and redeveloping old ones to be as well organized as possible, so people will not have to travel far for their working, shopping, education and recreational needs.

You aren't going to change people though, and I could never make it in the urban landscape they envision. Working an inside job ha never worked for me; and what the *.* do you do for fun in that type of environment?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,889  
Not so sure about that...at least in the US.
Toyota is a very popular brand here, plus some are actually built (assembled) in the US...Alabama, I think.

Until companies like Tesla can produce a much lower priced vehicle (say $35K or less), my opinion is they'll never be a major manufacturer. I do think Elon Musk is smart enough to, at least, investigate the mass market.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,890  
This article speaks the uncomfortable truth;

You aren't going to change people though, and I could never make it in the urban landscape they envision. Working an inside job ha never worked for me; and what the *.* do you do for fun in that type of environment?
Yeah...the author(s) of that article are delusional

Status
Not open for further replies.