Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,371  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,372  
There definitely will need to be a lot of thought put into the decision to go EV or not and the fewer vehicles owned the better since the clocks continue to click away on a battery even if it is not driven as much.

There is some truth to that in an ICE engine too, but if I drive them once a week or so I never have had a problem.

As for ICE engine failures, I have been fortunate. Never a major engine repair ever and I have been driving for a long time. I had a timing belt break at an intersection once if that counts.
One of our cars, a Malibu with an ecotec engine, broke a timing chain guide or gear, and since it's an interference engine, it ate the valves. Toast!

The other, an Impala with a 3.6 LFX engine had something similar go wrong in the valve timing and ate that engine as well. Toast!

I've only had two vehicles with interference engines and both interfered! :cautious:

Now I have a third in my new to me 2003 Suburban. Fingers crossed. 😬

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,373  
If these electric trucks are the planet saving miracle they are touted to be, you’d think there would be people competing to give them capital or low interest loans to build them.
Maybe the people with money to invest are smarter than posters like Gale Hawkins.... :p

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,374  
That reminds me of the time BIL took a small kicker boat out on the straits of Juan de Fuca during high tide going west. Tide turned and he almost got swept out to sea. That was a gas boat.
The electric boat that that was rescued off the edge of the dam had a top speed of 5MPH.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,375  
Operator error

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,376  
Operator error
"Police said four women were on the electric boat when it got swept up in the current near the dam and wasn't strong enough to escape, according to FOX 7 of Austin."

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,378  
i can only imagine the size of the solar panel and battery storage needed to charge a bunch of tesla cars at the same time. personally i cant see how they can do it. holy cow, $5k in power bills. that sucks. i average about $150 per month... higher in summer,lower in winter. i just have not seen the figures on paper to justify solar at my home. but if i was forking out $5k i would sharpen the pencil.

my customers here that are on solar generally sink $40 grand into the systems (i have placed generators on their systems). it would take me nearly 23 years to recoup the money, and before then id be needing panel repairs and new batteries.
You are quite correct, but those who act or think like Prius owners don't really care about the initial cost.
For them, it is often about virtue signaling!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,379  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,380  
You are quite correct, but those who act or think like Prius owners don't really care about the initial cost.
For them, it is often about virtue signaling!
AMEN

Status
Not open for further replies.