Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,381  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,382  
I know two people that drive Priuses. I went to high school with both of them. Both have been life-long environmentalists. Neither one is a snooty doofus.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,383  
I know two people that drive Priuses. I went to high school with both of them. Both have been life-long environmentalists. Neither one is a snooty doofus.
They might be snooty doofuses.

What is their position on clima . . .

I put over 125K miles on a Prius and bought it for economic reasons only, gas was $4 a gal. and grocery store was 75 miles round trip. Pretty good car till I hit a rabbit and it took out the front grill.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,384  
Txdon,
Such a great point you illustrate.
Why is it so important to these people to try to present themselves as better than others?
Is it deep-seated insecurity?
No one wanted to date them in high school?
I could care less about "virtue signaling" I'm more interested in economics of it. I wonder about people that get so twitter pated about "virtue signaling"

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,385  
I could care less about "virtue signaling" I'm more interested in economics of it. I wonder about people that get so twitter pated about "virtue signaling"
Well, it ain’t all about you, but there are 10’s of thousands of them who drive those cars purely for the purpose of virtue signaling.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,386  
Car dealerships care, it sells a lot of vehicles.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,389  
If these electric trucks are the planet saving miracle they are touted to be, you’d think there would be people competing to give them capital or low interest loans to build them.
That is the case with Tesla.

Fortunately the Johnny-come-latelies who think they see easy money are spotted by smart money. Stupid money always loses.

EVs don't have to "save the planet" to be justified. That is the hater's criteria. EV only has to be fun.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,390  
My wife and I both have short commutes to work. I do about 11 miles a day. She did about 10 (now she commutes to the living room for the past year, working from home). We could really do OK with an electric vehicle or even 2 of them (we always have 3 vehicles), if the overall price of ownership was comparable to an internal combustion powered vehicle.
Not too many years ago the market was flooded with off-lease Nissan LEAFs, 2 years old, most with about 15,000 miles, $10,000. Those would have been excellent solutions for you and your wife.

One advantage for short commutes is how the EV has zero warmup, zero additional wear for a cold start. Not sure all model LEAF have this but is common for an EV to use internet connectivity to allow an app to start/stop HVAC while parked so the car will be warm or cold, comfortable to drive when you depart.

Status
Not open for further replies.