Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,552  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,553  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,554  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,555  
So the blackouts are only happening in the middle of the day and the power comes back on in the evening? Then, everyone's house is 115 degrees from no AC all day, people crank their AC and plug their cars in all at the same time?

Kevin
Having fun being so deliberately ignorant? You have never actually researched why a utility invokes rolling blackouts? Or what happens when they do?

For starters study Time Of Use. Electrical power consumption peaks in the afternoon. When demand exceeds capacity the utility is forced to blackout a region for a period of time. Would be stupid to run everyone off because then the utility wouldn't have any paying customers with lots of unsold power. Depends a lot on the utility and the situation but a blackout might be for only 10 minutes then another region goes dark.

Night consumption is about half of daytime consumption so there is little need for nighttime rolling blackouts. The better EVs have onboard timers to schedule charge. Doesn't matter to the EV when it charges so long as it is ready by the time it is needed in the morning.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,556  
Idiots writing ad copy don't know carbon and lime are essential components of steel. Might as well try to make ferrite-free steel.
It's not about the carbon in the steel, it's about the carbon released during the production process (specifically the iron-making process) before it becomes steel. Creating a pound of new steel releases up to 2 pounds of carbon into the atmosphere which is why making steel produces almost 10% of CO2 emissions worldwide. If you can develop a cheap and effective way to eliminate that it will have a significant impact.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,558  
About 10 years ago I was looking into getting solar panels on a new build house but the Electrical co-op was very restrictive. First you had to pay for two meters monthly, one in going, one out-going, and the rate they paid for the electricity I would produce was so small and there was no rebate for the panels. I figured it would be over 50 years before I broke even. I really jumped on the PR person when they gave a discussion on green energy to one of our clubs. She was very embarrassed and should have been. I hear now they have dropped the need for 2 meters.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,559  
If the sun ever shined here, i'd be tempted to do the solar route maybe even add local storage into the mix. I'd like to be more self-sufficient, but too many trees and a tall ridge that blocks sun. Trees i could cut, but that ridge would probably be more of a few kilo-ton job.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,560  
Well, looked what happened to phone companies and copper wire. They lost customers to cellular, and then they don't have enough to maintain the copper to land line users, yet they have to buy law.

Same thing will happen to electric utilities. They are required by law to provide power over the lines, but people want to force them to buy electricity from every mom and pop solar install on their private residence. They will not get enough revenue to maintain their lines and equipment.

And gasoline taxes that support roads. EVs don't use gas, but use the roads. They have to come up with an equitable way to tax all road users the same, regardless of what fuel they choose. Guess what that is? Metered mileage tax. You pay according to how many miles you drive AND how much your vehicle weighs. It's the only fair way, yet many are gonna cry WHAAAAAA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.