Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,661  
Pay attention, I am talking road not parking space.

High power wireless (stationary) charging adds a lot of weight to the vehicle and is much less efficient than a simple umbilical charging cable. Is impractical fantasy.

Lets say you manage to transfer 90% of the energy to the EV BCM for use in charging the battery? 240V @ 40A on a 50A circuit is 9600W. You will be dumping 960W of heat into your garage. About same as most portable electric space heaters. This is over and above the losses in the EV to convert that power into chemical power in the battery.

Video is for the TV generation who has to be spoon fed by "marketing people". If they had a serious presentation then it will be printed so that their claims will be accurately recorded.
ummm. Yeah. (speaking of paying attention :p )

Vehicle in motion. Coil ONLY turns on when vehicle is OVER the Coil. That way when no vehicle is over it, there is no energy required.

We good on that part?

The stationary stuff is a bit pedestrian, and now decades established. You mind if we pass over that? The new trick is with vehicle in motion.

Early losses were around 15% (85% transferred) when South Korea started this back in 2013.

Typical numbers are now 90% transfer, and the best numbers I have seen are about 94 to 95%.

This is being done around the world by various countries and universities.

Some samples >>>

[edit add] More from this week >>> Wireless EV charging via highway pavement to be tested in Indiana

here is a download PDF that gives more design details >>>

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,662  

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,663  
ummm. Yeah. (speaking of paying attention :p )

Vehicle in motion. Coil ONLY turns on when vehicle is OVER the Coil. That way when no vehicle is over it, there is no energy required.

We good on that part?

The stationary stuff is a bit pedestrian, and now decades established. You mind if we pass over that? The new trick is with vehicle in motion.

Early losses were around 15% (85% transferred) when South Korea started this back in 2013.

Typical numbers are now 90% transfer, and the best numbers I have seen are about 94 to 95%.

This is being done around the world by various countries and universities.

Some samples >>>

[edit add] More from this week >>> Wireless EV charging via highway pavement to be tested in Indiana

here is a download PDF that gives more design details >>>

First, GO BOILERS!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

Second,
Guy standing on the side of the road changing a flat tire, a large truck drives by and triggers the charging coil embedded in the pavement, and fries the guy's gonads. We achieve two objectives... fossil fuel AND population reductions.

But seriously, that's a big challenge to overcome. How to focus that exchange of power between the pavement and a moving truck and not induce current in other objects like an induction cooktop.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,665  
First, GO BOILERS!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

Second,
Guy standing on the side of the road changing a flat tire, a large truck drives by and triggers the charging coil embedded in the pavement, and fries the guy's gonads. We achieve two objectives... fossil fuel AND population reductions.

But seriously, that's a big challenge to overcome. How to focus that exchange of power between the pavement and a moving truck and not induce current in other objects like an induction cooktop.

Lotta study ahead. Frequency and waveform are even considerations.

Personally, I would go with the Bumper Car system. Live ceiling and grounded roadway. And cars that just bounce when they run into each other. ;D

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,666  
Living on the water I have always wondered why this type of power generation is not more developed. Tidal flow is as predictable as can be.

Maybe it would work in the Salish Sea, but most places the first storm would rip a generator to pieces and toss it on the rocks. Salt water corrosion would not have time to wreck it.

#3,667  
This post is an example of why I keep up on this thread. You obviously are a fan of EVs; yet are also a realist. It's a lot easier to learn from people like you than from a fanatic.
Thanks for your kind words.

Common sense is changing. Most 70 year old men did not grow in a tobacco patch walking behind Coon foot harrow pulled by a mule and milk the cows with bare hands twice a day.

FFA talked about better days through better ways so since high school I have spent another 12 years of butt in chair studying.

I watched both of my parents work very hard to make a living. Dad could fix any machine it seemed.

Most retired age people do not like EVS because they do not understand them. I remember that I did like automatic transmission and today I would not consider buying one with a manual. Today we know no transmission is required.

Since all EVS built today are sold a high margins I can't imagine that will change they are cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate which is just around the corner.

Common Sense changes with time! :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,669  
Maybe it would work in the Salish Sea, but most places the first storm would rip a generator to pieces and toss it on the rocks. Salt water corrosion would not have time to wreck it.
They would be best put in relatively protected areas where there is a large body of water that floods in and ebbs out through a narrow channel. Attached Deception Pass up here has ~8 or 9 max knot flow like clockwork. Twice a day in, twice a day out. The water has to go out to the south or up north through a narrow channel. There is no silver bullet to the generation of electricity going forward. Each area needs to be able to do what it can.
2D7F8478-89AD-4596-ADCE-B8BD2D5024F7.jpeg

#3,670  
Status
Not open for further replies.