Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,961  
shot of 2 coal mines near Gillette- taken from the ISS
Gillette is in the lower right.

Lots of Oil and gas produced in Wyoming also (Laramie Goshen and Platte counties) and some others. We very much need these resources for some years to come.
Those are some big complexes. About 15 years ago we went to Wyoming to visit friends and see the sights. We spent a day driving around the Gillette area. Massive! Got to see one of the large draglines operating.

I agree that we need to keep coal and natural gas going until a cleaner/more economically sensible alternative(s) can be developed. I'm still hoping for nuclear to take over, but fossil fuel, solar and wind companies will lobby against that for eternity.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,962  
I wonder when the car rental companies will start to transition their fleet to more EVs than ICE,
When it becomes profitable.

Also, anyone ever take a rental car back without filling it up first? YIKES! They'll gouge you for fuel. Will you have to take an electric rental back fully charged?

On that note, back in May we rented a car, and they've changed the policy to bring it back with the same amount of fuel it left with. My guess is that someone figured out if you send it out with 5/8 of a tank, most people will overfill it past 5/8 a couple gallons, and in the long run, renter over-fills will mean more dollars for the rental car company.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,963  
In the U.S. there are 275 million ICE vehicles on the road.
Tesla will soon be producing a million EVs a year.
In 15 years the majority of vehicles produced by other manufactures will be EV, but
In what year will the majority of the vehicles on the road be EV?

I'm thinking 25 years (2046) at the earliest. Any other predictions with numbers?

Error in assumption for the start --

Actual "on the road" is down around 100 Million. Most cars (and trucks, etc.) are mostly just parked and sitting still most of the time.

And in the case of EVs and ICEs -- if there is an EV around, it is the one that gets most of the "Miles Driven."

Miles Driven is the measure that matters. US Miles Driven per year is about 3.22E12.

Interest graph and data tracker here -- Federal Reserve, no less >>>

But his probably speaks better to your question >>

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,964  
Those are some big complexes. About 15 years ago we went to Wyoming to visit friends and see the sights. We spent a day driving around the Gillette area. Massive! Got to see one of the large draglines operating.

I agree that we need to keep coal and natural gas going until a cleaner/more economically sensible alternative(s) can be developed. I'm still hoping for nuclear to take over, but fossil fuel, solar and wind companies will lobby against that for eternity.
Yeah those are some Really big pits. Worked out of Gillette for a while many years ago on a seismic oil exploration data crew.

The scale of those pits was amazing even 40 years ago. The big coal dump trucks looked like match box toys at distance. They haul upwards of 300 tons per load.

Come to think of it some are electric... Diesel electric like Komatsu

I still think GM really missed a great opportunity by not upsizing the Chevy Volt drivetrain for a 1/2 to 1 ton trucks. They could have beat all other brands and had it out around 2013 instead they built a half baked model that year with almost no towing ability. And apparently then cancelled it.

Now Ford beat them there with the the new hybrid F150.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,965  
Has anyone contemplated what impact this will have on the motorcycle? I would *think* they get included as ICEers, right?
And before onw of the EV cheerleaders posts a link to 4) D batteries powering a moped down a sidewalk, I mean what can EV do to make a REAL motorcycle.
OK, go ahead, make my day. Show me.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,966  
Well Dude, since you brought it up. Google is your friend.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,967  
Ah yes; but what about those extremely noisy ones that enhance the male Libido?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,968  

I too think these EV tax credit sizes are getting out of hand.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,969  
Well Dude, since you brought it up. Google is your friend.
Gee only 30 grand, probably stripped. What a bargain.
Sign me up!
BTW, I was referring to the sound of it, but I’m sure you enjoy the chance to jab me whenever you can for whatever reason. Must suck to be like that.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,970  
Old News

Status
Not open for further replies.