Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,371  
SEA launches new electric truck small enough for any driver

I am starting to think small EV trucks may become a strong EV market market place for local use service and delivery needs.
Have you priced a 1/2 ton van lately? Fifty years ago, a Ford Econoline was a popular party vehicle among kids. They were cheap, spacious, and easy to customize. Nowadays, there are no used ones because nobody can afford a new one. It makes no sense. The things are just a box on wheels.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,372  
Have you priced a 1/2 ton van lately? Fifty years ago, a Ford Econoline was a popular party vehicle among kids. They were cheap, spacious, and easy to customize. Nowadays, there are no used ones because nobody can afford a new one. It makes no sense. The things are just a box on wheels.
I've been searching for a service van to replace mine. There are none to be had. I found a 1 year old Chevy with 20K miles on it, and they had $37K on it for a price and wouldn't budge. The only other one to be had in this half of the state was a brand new Dodge, but it had too many whiz-bang options on it and they wanted $44K for it, and also wouldn't budge. These were both 3/4 ton chassis service vans, with an open cargo bay and a floor mat.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,373  
^^^^^
It's a seller's market right now. If the chip market gets back to speed it probably will be a selling frenzy for a while, then prices will swing the other way.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,374  

I bought a E-350 first $5200 last year with lowish miles and zero rust last year before everything went stupid. I’ve been looking for a high top but there’s none of them to be had.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,375  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,376  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,377  
I do believe Sentry mode costs extra.
Sentry mode is standard equipment 2017+. However the owner has to purchase and correctly format a USB data stick for the video to be written. Also Sentry mode consumes power, eating miles of range when vehicle is parked and no not on a charger.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,378  
If you have a Tesla you have to be rich and a target for scammers.
Does the Tesla back-up camera stay on recording all the time or is this an add on camera?
Before Sentry Mode was introduced in 2017 (making use of the cameras installed for autopilot, whether one buys the autopilot software license or not) the backup camera did not record but could be enabled on demand even when going 70 MPH.

There are 7 or 9 or more cameras on a Tesla for autopilot, and therefore Sentry Mode.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,379  
Model 3 2021 comes with a USB stick pre installed in the glove compartment specially for that. Being locked, it will be harder for someone to break in and remove the evidence.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,380  
Thanks for the Sentry Mode terminology. There are lots of Youtubes that go into detail. Very impressive and the cameras deplete the batteries only one mile of range per hour when turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.