Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,401  
#4,402  

How expired LFP battery patents is helping Tesla's battery shortages. LFP is my preference today.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,403  
JCB's hydrogen-fuelled combustion engine examined - Farmers Weekly

This could be an interesting green development to follow especially in areas where diesel use is under pressure. It may not require block heater use.
People fret about ethanol in gasoline don't know how bad things will be with hydrogen. The (5) 1kg H2 bottles cited are a huge safety risk. No one mentions they have to be replaced every 5-10 years due to the risk of rupture.

Did you catch the mention of SCR, Selective Catalyst Reactor? That is where DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) goes to reduce NOx emissions. This H2 engine also needs one.

5% of the world's energy use is H2? You have to be kidding me? That I know, most H2 production is used for manufacturing, not energy. And the other problem is that any H2 production other than extraction from Natural Gas consumes at least 2x as much energy as the H2 contains. Meanwhile charging lithium batteries is 95% efficient. And electric motors are 95% efficient.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,404  
People fret about ethanol in gasoline don't know how bad things will be with hydrogen. The (5) 1kg H2 bottles cited are a huge safety risk. No one mentions they have to be replaced every 5-10 years due to the risk of rupture.

Did you catch the mention of SCR, Selective Catalyst Reactor? That is where DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) goes to reduce NOx emissions. This H2 engine also needs one.

5% of the world's energy use is H2? You have to be kidding me? That I know, most H2 production is used for manufacturing, not energy. And the other problem is that any H2 production other than extraction from Natural Gas consumes at least 2x as much energy as the H2 contains. Meanwhile charging lithium batteries is 95% efficient. And electric motors are 95% efficient.
Not to mention the huge amount of CO2 that get created from making H2 from Nat Gas. It would be better to directly burn the Nat Gas in terms of energy and CO2.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,405  
Not to mention the huge amount of CO2 that get created from making H2 from Nat Gas. It would be better to directly burn the Nat Gas in terms of energy and CO2.
Most H2 is used to manufacture ammonia fertilizers, not as fuel. However, I saw a headline today that some Asian car manufacturer is developing a whole line of hydrogen-electric vehicles using fuel cells. We may not see them in the US, but other parts of the world may set up the fuel infrastructure.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,406  
I'm not paying $10,000 for that. The only thing I find interesting is the summon feature.

BTW, my delivery has been moved from next Wednesday to this Friday :)

Now sitting in my driveway :)

1631370715622.png

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,409  
Nice! Can you take a pic of your wall charging system?
Curious as to why you ask because it isn't much, just a 50A circuit. But since you asked this is mine. I decided to install a private meter not trusting the car to accurately report it's consumption.

The box cost $30 at Lowes or Home Depot and the meter was $25 on eBay.

Tesla_WC.jpg

Tesla_HPWC_1.jpg

#4,410  
Porsche and Siemens break ground on low-carbon e-fuel plant in Chile

This may keep ICE racing alive for a few years until it dies out to EV racers.

At 7.60 dollars a gallon in 2026 in volume production I don't see it coming to USA pumps.

As we baby boomers die so will fossil fuel engines if only due to cost and lack of vehicle demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.