Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,161  
I’ve never understood the attraction of an attached garage for the very reasons discussed above; I’ll sacrifice a little convenience and walk 50 feet from my garage to my house.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,162  
I’ve never understood the attraction of an attached garage for the very reasons discussed above; I’ll sacrifice a little convenience and walk 50 feet from my garage to my house.
tbh I hate the look of an attached garage. Our house has one, but it's my wife's crafts workshop / pantry, and the detached garage (which isn't quite far enough for my tastes either) doesn't have a car in it either, though it does have LFP batteries, lots of shop equipment, about 20 pairs of skis in the rafters, 6 bikes hanging, ...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,163  
tbh I hate the look of an attached garage. Our house has one, but it's my wife's crafts workshop / pantry, and the detached garage (which isn't quite far enough for my tastes either) doesn't have a car in it either, though it does have LFP batteries, lots of shop equipment, about 20 pairs of skis in the rafters, 6 bikes hanging, ...
Yours sounds like a typical garage!😆

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,164  
I wasn't stating the contrary. I was making a point, though, that LFP are less likely to catch fire than LiIon - and in addition, you can actually put out an LFP that's on fire, while you basically have to "manage" an LiIon fire until it's done. The FD can also put out an ICE car on fire as well, assuming they're there in time...

Considering that an LiIon car is most likely to be charged in the middle of the night, even a low rate of fires as a result of faulty charging is concerning.

Indeed, LFP are much stable than NCA batteries.

Not everyone can have a lot that's big enough to have a garage away from the house...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,165  
Indeed, LFP are much stable than NCA batteries.

Not everyone can have a lot that's big enough to have a garage away from the house...
I guess that I don't understand that, either. ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,166  
Did you see the 4'X8' on the back of the Maverick on the link I posted. Yes you have to secure anything when the tail gate is down.
I don't do anything any more that requires 4'x8'. If I need plywood I get it cut at Home Depot close to the size I will be using and can handle easily by my self. I don't hang sheetrock. How many times do non-contractors haul a 4'x8' in a year? When I do haul large stuff a 6-8' bed is not large enough and I have to hook up my 10' or 18' trailer. All pallets of rock or cement go on the trailer also.
If the absence of a pickup bed doesn't bother you, go for it. I don't see the point. I live in the country, and haul lots of stuff, like 10' sections of pipe and conduit, iron, plus bricks, block, bags of cement that rides a lot better if centered over the frame rather than over the rear axle. Hell will freeze over before I buy a 4-door pickup.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,167  
LFP is more stable, except for the impact to the environment:

Lithium could help us ditch fossil fuels. But mining is messy.

But the forecasted amount of lithium needed exceeds the world’s currently known reserves by 280 per cent. And even if we discovered sufficient reserves, there are a lot of problems with mining for lithium—as with the reserves that we already know of.

Elon Musk is sociopathic:
Did Elon Musk Tweet ‘We Will Coup Whoever We Want, Deal With It’?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,168  
"from 2012 to 2020 there was about one Tesla vehicle fire per 205 million miles traveled—versus one per 19 million miles traveled for all types"

I know two persons who's ICE car burnt, my dad in his carport and a coworker while parked at work.
My 1974 Chev pickup with the 6-cylinder 250 caught on fire twice, both times a carburetor fire that I was able to put out. It turns out gasoline is flammable. Who knew? I also pulled the fire alarm on a parking structure fire at work. It was interesting to watch the FD put that one out. They didn't touch the burning car, but pulled adjacent cars to safety before they caught. The driver was nowhere in sight, so she pulled in, parked, and walked off before the smoke started boiling out of the engine well.

It's why the IBC requires a firewall assembly between the attached garage and living area of a house. Cars catch on fire all the time.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,169  
If the absence of a pickup bed doesn't bother you, go for it. I don't see the point. I live in the country, and haul lots of stuff, like 10' sections of pipe and conduit, iron, plus bricks, block, bags of cement that rides a lot better if centered over the frame rather than over the rear axle. Hell will freeze over before I buy a 4-door pickup.
Larry, there ARE four-door full-sized pickups! (overwhelming number of 1 ton ones have 8' beds) But, I agree, what's the point of a truck unless it has an actual/usable bed.

I was thinking of a four-door in order to facilitate my dog: I, my wife and out 90+lb dog in a day cab truck is a bit crowded. Decided to bag the idea and just continue to use my truck only as a farm truck: the cost of a replacement wasn't justifiable cost-wise.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,170  
I had a 2008 Ford Ranger reg cab that had the optional 7 foot box and now my full size reg cab has a 8ft box.

Status
Not open for further replies.