Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,731  
I am interested to learn how super high-speed internet on a smart phone will work in the field for remote property insurance adjusters.
No problem ! In the article:
The phone will support Starlink satellite internet. The developers will declare that the data download speed will be up to 210 megabits per second.
But the author pointed out this is at early stage development. Just discussion of concepts so far. For example hackers are having fun intercepting the test messages. Tesla promises far better encryption before its released. if the development effort is anything like the cars, this will be revolutionary.

Incidentally that development-oriented web-magazine you referenced is interesting. it says they didn't write the article, rather they rely on advanced machine-learning to find / edit / publish material from other sources. All sorts of subject areas related to futuristic development, are their scope. I looked at their 'about us' and see they are in a suburb outside New Delhi, then Google maps shows the vicinity. Universities, temples, hospitals, Amazon Distribution Center, sports complexes, traditional small rice paddies, anything you can imagine are within walking distance. Their 3-story new office has rebar sticking out the sides for future expansion and the parking lot is dirt. This is modern India, developing a better future at a pace we here can't imagine. A couple of pages back I referenced photos I took in India in 2004. India today seems like it has advanced a century or more (for some people) since then.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,732  
No problem ! In the article:

But the author pointed out this is at early stage development. Just discussion of concepts so far. For example hackers are having fun intercepting the test messages. Tesla promises far better encryption before its released. if the development effort is anything like the cars, this will be revolutionary.

Incidentally that development-oriented web-magazine you referenced is interesting. it says they didn't write the article, rather they rely on advanced machine-learning to find / edit / publish material from other sources. All sorts of subject areas related to futuristic development, are their scope. I looked at their 'about us' and see they are in a suburb outside New Delhi, then Google maps shows the vicinity. Universities, temples, hospitals, Amazon Distribution Center, sports complexes, traditional small rice paddies, anything you can imagine are within walking distance. Their 3-story new office has rebar sticking out the sides for future expansion and the parking lot is dirt. This is modern India, developing a better future at a pace we here can't imagine. A couple of pages back I referenced photos I took in India in 2004. India today seems like it has advanced a century or more (for some people) since then.
California you good at data mining. Thanks.

India is interesting on many levels. Their use solar panels is interesting. I notice Musk is drawn to India like a bug is to light.

FSD (Full Self Driving) can not happen without machine learning.

I notice some view EVs nothing more than ICE vehicle replacements. My driving interest in EVs are our kids and potential grandkids.

What Musk is doing for future generations boggles my mind. I do realize many are more focused on long term healthcare insurance and prepaid funeral plans. Both are good things.

I see EVs as key to future technologies for earth and the heavens.

Look at what Google's alogrims just dragged up.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,733  
I notice some view EVs nothing more than ICE vehicle replacements. My driving interest in EVs are our kids and potential grandkids.

I believe that generations going forward will do a lot less driving, and a lot more riding in some way, shape, or form. I can't imagine them spending as much time in gridlock as many in more populated areas do now.

#5,734  
I believe that generations going forward will do a lot less driving, and a lot more riding in some way, shape, or form. I can't imagine them spending as much time in gridlock as many in more populated areas do now.
I can see that. Car ownership will be less of a positive thing when Robo taxis become an on demand reality.

The pandemic has showed us that we have a much lower need to travel and will forever change the car market.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,735  
I can see that. Car ownership will be less of a positive thing when Robo taxis become an on demand reality.

The pandemic has showed us that we have a much lower need to travel and will forever change the car market.
I don't see robo taxis in rural areas at all...wouldn't make sense
As far as reducing the need to travel, that will depend on the type of business. Labor intensive will still require driving to work. Folks that can work remotely may continue to do so. However, the company I work for severely limited remote work due to abuse of the privilege.
The only reason I'm allowed to do it is due to wife care duty.

Gale, do you live in town, the suburbs or a rural area? And, in your situation, would an EV make sense?

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,736  
I have the Ford F150 Lightning on reserve and they include the charging station in the price.I'm retired and up until this point,I have never purchased a brand new vehicle before.Looking forward to it and not having to do oil changes!

#5,737  
I don't see robo taxis in rural areas at all...wouldn't make sense
As far as reducing the need to travel, that will depend on the type of business. Labor intensive will still require driving to work. Folks that can work remotely may continue to do so. However, the company I work for severely limited remote work due to abuse of the privilege.
The only reason I'm allowed to do it is due to wife care duty.

Gale, do you live in town, the suburbs or a rural area? And, in your situation, would an EV make sense?
Robo taxis will be great for rural areas because no human is required the per mile rate will be reasonable.

I am 15 to 25 miles from about five different towns. EVs make sense for all local driving within 60 miles since my range is 150.

Most new EVs have 300+ miles of range negating the need for ICE vehicles for most car owners.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,738  
Robo taxis will be great for rural areas because no human is required the per mile rate will be reasonable.
Robo Taxis will navigate using GPS, most likely.
I don't know if you've ever used GPS in a rural and unfamiliar area, but frequently, the signal is lost...and quite often (in my experience), the GPS will guide you up a goat trail.
Frankly, I want to be in control of my own destiny...not some tinker toy

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,739  
I think we are at the point where large congested cities should be closed off to non-commercial traffic and commercial traffic limited. Walk, bus, train or subway.

I live in the country, farm land and cars/trucks are not only necessary but a way of life. Self driving and robo-taxis and such; the millennials can have them.

But my opinion and a $1.75 can buy a cup of coffee. Regular at the deli or gas station.

If I was in the market for a UTV I'd consider an electric. And if Miata came out with an eectric or hybrid version I consider trading in my 2002 SE MX5.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,740  
And maybe it's been mentioned or discussed here before (I'm not going back and reading 573 pages) but if we go all electric for vehicles where is all that increase in electricity coming from? and how is it getting to my house?

And don't say wind/solar power. Both are not cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.