Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,971  
I’m not sure Europe is a big market to them?
I would think China and Asia as a whole are far higher on the list, with North America being a close second.
Also think Honda or Toyota are on the fence because they know that things can change. We don’t know what they have in the R&D departments
To sell cars you must b able to make cars people want to buy.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,973  
Honda and Nissan did well in the early age of small SUVs, Honda CR-V and Nissan Qashqai did sell well but only one big seller is not enough, in the eighties and early nineties both had very good cars, but it become difficult to develop euro only models, Europe is hard, we want premium level on smaller cars, so a small car that sell well in US and the rest of the world is considered pure junk here.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,975  
But one thing is for sure, all countries can produce electricity, few can produce oil so most countries will be better off if they reduce the influence of oil prices and availability. That's is one of the better arguments for EV in the long run if pullution is not up for discussion.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,976  
Can you tell the difference between hypocrites and self righteous?
Hypocrites preach mandatory EVs (etc), while flying extensively in private jets.

The Self Righteous evangelize EVs, while ignoring their environmental impacts.

;)

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,977  
Honda and Nissan did well in the early age of small SUVs, Honda CR-V and Nissan Qashqai did sell well but only one big seller is not enough, in the eighties and early nineties both had very good cars, but it become difficult to develop euro only models, Europe is hard, we want premium level on smaller cars, so a small car that sell well in US and the rest of the world is considered pure junk here.
For the most part, European cars never made much headway in the US, except for Volvo and the British Sportscars (MG, Triumph).
Although, IMHO, as long as they were properly maintained, they were quite reliable.
I've owned a couple FIATs, one SAAB 96, an E-Type Jag...all in the US. When I was stationed in Italy, had an Alfa Romeo...and, since we were allowed to ship quite a bit of gear back to the US, an Alfa Romero 2600 Sprint Zagato and and engine for a Citroen SM (engine was a Maserati V6).
But, for the most part, European cars were a niche market.
The Japanese car companies did a much better job in market research (European manufacturers had a "take it or leave it" attitude), at least in the US. And their share of the market now shows that. I don't see Nissan and Toyota giving up on the US market. I think current research would indicate EV vehicles are a niche market...that may change, but it's not going to be the government to mandate it...we toss politicians out all the time.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,978  
The transition to EVs will be as painful as it is inevitable. What well-known brand names do you think will disappear by the end of this decade?"

The barrier to entry in the EV market is so much lower you’d think anyone who really wanted to survive could. As committed as GM is to poor management and bad cars, I think they’ll survive only because the US govt won’t let them die no matter how hard they try. If you can’t get regular cars right after a century of trying what hope do you have with EVs? Nissan and anything French probably falls in that same category.

One big hurdle for legacy car makers that I think many overlook is attracting tech workers. EVs are so much more about coding and high tech, and if you’re a tech wunderkind wanting to work on the cutting edge, who are you going to pick, GM or Rivian? Nissan or Tesla? That’s a no brainer.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,979  
Is the reduction enough to warrant:
1. the mining of the metals for batteries.
2. The production of critical vehicle components mostly overseas?
3. the loss of 100’s of thousands of american jobs in the energy sector?
4. the disposal of, and the looming environmental disaster forthcoming from exhausted batteries?
I'd say you are out of step, With Time.

But, in the opposite direction, from what others have inferred.

A generation from now, the young non-dinosaur Environmental Protesters may well be shouting out those points.

For a while though, those issues will likely remain the Emperor's New Clothes aspects of EVs....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,980  

I have the Leaf Spy Pro with a Bluetooth doggle. At the time that version was $15 I think the software now is $20 per that video and the doggle was 20 to $30 I think but I went with Bluetooth because it just sinks up with my phone automatically and it's a no-brainer.

There is some cost associated with the Tesla toolbox but I did not drill down on that.

I wanted to cover this because from another post it talked about the DIY types being locked out of EV service and but that is not totally true and this Tesla toolbox is a new development due to complaints.

Google searches will reveal a lot of information and tips for EVS when you're trying to deal with a problem and understand them.

Knowing and the battery health and the parameters that can negatively affect battery life is a good thing to learn and monitor and is how I learned to decrease the degradation of the leaf battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.